Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with formatting Windows XP Pro.

• Please log in to reply

Loopah

Loopah

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am having troubles formatting my new computer for the first time. When I reboot the computer with the XP CD in the drive it tells me that it can't find the setup files for the hard drive. I played with it and pressed F6 because I think I use RAID, but after that it said I needed a floppy from the manufacturer or something to that effect. I don't remember getting a floppy from the hard drive company. My HD is a 140GB Maxtor SCSI7200RPM.

Please help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the floppy came with the raid controller or motherboard

Loopah

Loopah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I will search up and down for the floppy. You are sure that is the floppy I need?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you are using raid, and you don't have one of the supported drivers in windows, yes....

You can likely download the driver if you cannot find the floppy from the motehrboard maker if it is integrated or the raid controller maker

Loopah

Loopah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am sorry for not knowing what to do still, but it is true. I can't find my floppy to use, and I don't know what driver to download. Do I put this new driver on a disk and load it when I am prompted? Or can I just install the new driver on my system before I format and it should fix the problem? Thanks for all the help.

Loopah

Loopah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I might have found it. I am going to make the disk with this driver on it. I'll let you know what happens.

http://www.viaarena....t.aspx?PageID=2

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who made your controller? Is it integrated? Who makes your motherboard?

Loopah

Loopah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Motherboard is a Asus A8V Deluxe. And the controller is VIA, I believe it is integrated.

This might help. http://img.photobuck...pah/devices.jpg