Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen appears periodically

• Please log in to reply

Reny Fernando

Reny Fernando

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

system summary:

Windows XP Pro v2002, SP2

Toshiba satellite, Pentium®4 CPU 3.20 GHZ, 448 MB RAM

AVG Internet security Antivirus installed

Problem summary:

In this laptop I get the blue screen periodically. Today I got this while I try to shut the laptop.

I tried to read the c:/windows/minidump files as advised in other similar post using "Bluescreenviewer", but i could not make out anything.

I am attaching the minidump file. please help me to resolve this issue.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Attached Files

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The minidumps could point to many problems, but I cannot isolate it with those dumps. Try running chkdsk /r :file:///C:/Users/Edge/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
Following some quick searches, it could be your NIC driver or the device itself. Bad RAM is also a possibility.
Click on Memtest Instructions on my signature, and try running memtest with one stick of ram at a time.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
How long has this been going on?
Added any new hardware or software?
448mb ram is low. Thats 512mb with 64mb for video.
AVG antivirus could be causing it also. AVG is a resource hog in most computers and since you have a low amount of ram this could be a combined issue.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I agree that AVG sometimes acts up in older computers. I suggest you try avast antivirus with comodo firewall to see if AVG is in fact the problem.
Do you have any specific programs that are open at the time of the blue screen, or do they appear sporadically. How long do you keep your computer on without a full shutdown and reboot (includes stand by/sleep time)?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the event viewer and copy and paste what you find...red errors only

Reny Fernando

Reny Fernando

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
>>look in the event viewer and copy and paste what you find...red errors only [/i]

Thanks for the reply. May I know how can I do this?

Edited by Reny Fernando, 27 October 2010 - 01:15 PM.

Reny Fernando

Reny Fernando

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I agree that AVG sometimes acts up in older computers. I suggest you try avast antivirus with comodo firewall to see if AVG is in fact the problem.
Do you have any specific programs that are open at the time of the blue screen, or do they appear sporadically. How long do you keep your computer on without a full shutdown and reboot (includes stand by/sleep time)?

Thanks for the reply. I too suspect AVG.

<<I suggest you try avast antivirus with comodo firewall>>

May I know how I can do this?

Do you have any specific programs that are open at the time of the blue screen, or do they appear sporadically.

There are no specific programs. It can happen at any time.

How long do you keep your computer on without a full shutdown and reboot (includes stand by/sleep time)?

Maximum for one full day.

Thanks in advance.

Reny Fernando

Reny Fernando

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How long has this been going on?
Added any new hardware or software?

- for the past six month
- No.

Reny Fernando

Reny Fernando

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Click on Memtest Instructions on my signature, and try running memtest with one stick of ram at a time.

I need my Boss permission to do this. Let me see if I can do this? Thanks for the help.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If your boss allows you to run memtest, then post the results when you can.

<<I suggest you try avast antivirus with comodo firewall>>

May I know how I can do this?

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
Download the free version.
http://personalfirew...e-download.html
When you install Comodo, remember to only install the firewall, not the antivirus. If you have 2 AV suites running at the same time, there could be conflicts and other associated problems.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

>>look in the event viewer and copy and paste what you find...red errors only [/i]

Thanks for the reply. May I know how can I do this?

To view the Windows Event Viewer...click on Start ... Run ...type in eventvwr press enter click on the system tab and applications tab and look for red