Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about clone programs

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Good Morning,
My question is.... If I have a 1 TB drive that I want to clone, are there programs out there that allow me to clone it to a (example)500 GB by allowing compressing it? I've got large drives that I would love to clone but don't have space to "copy" it in it's original size.
Thanks for the help...
Dianne

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Cloning is a full copy of the entire disk. You would clone a drive (such as the main C drive) to another hard drive. If the original failed then you would swap the original drive for the cloned drive.
What you are looking for is to create an image of the drive. With the image, it can be saved to a hard drive, network, CD ,etc. You would then "restore the image" to the drive. The image (depending on size) could be numerous files. The image is a compressed format of everything on the drive.

Check out Easeus ToDo Backup or Drive Image XML. They are both free. But there are numerous others t5hat will be recommended.

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
123Runner, Thanks very much for your help. I've downloaded the software(s) and am going to try them to see which I like best.
Much appreciated, Dianne