Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nvidia geforce 8600Gt crashing OS

• Please log in to reply

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
nvidia geforce 8600gt ddr3 265 vid card
installed on an asus P5VD2-MS Se board,2g ram,NEW 650watt psu, 3.2ghz dual core cpu, OS win xp AND win 7,hard drive 80g sata and 80g ide have tryed both hd's
and a ... asus P5nd2-sli board 4g ram NEW 650watt psu, 3.2ghz dual core cpu, OS win xp AND win 7,hard drive 80g sata and 80g ide have tryed both hd's

when drivers are installed for the nvidia 8600GT system works good untill i reboot,when system come back up, i have no icons,have tryed usin the keyboard to get things to open,its like its dead,,if i boot into safe mode,all icons are there,i removed driver,booted back into win, still no icons,task bar..this happends on both OS
When i reinstall a OS,an DONT use the vid card an drivers, all is just fine
Ive downloaded the latest driver from nvidia for both OS,this should be working but dosent

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So using onboard graphics will fix this problem. Have you tried another graphics card with your motherboards?
Check if your 8600gt will work with a Linux variant like Puppy Linux or Ubuntu. Burn the iso files to a disc and boot from it. Remember to specifically use a program that will burn iso files (disc images), like BurnCDCC.

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Problem solved.. ..
I burned a new iso image of my OS, done fresh install, loaded nvidia 8600GT driver "LAST"
everything is working perfectly.
Cant say this wil work for everyone, but it worked for me
Rascle

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Glad to hear that you solved your problem.;)
Thanks for letting us know how you fixed your problem. If you have any other questions or problems, please come back to Geeks To Go. We will be happy to help you.:D