Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Packard Bell Legend 409CDT

• Please log in to reply

adams0029

adams0029

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My parents recently gave us some old computers for our boys to play games on, however, when you start them up you can only get to the black start up screen and then it says "Drive Not Ready Error, insert Boot Diskette in A". Is there any way to fix this or obtain a boot diskette to get this thing to work?
I can get to the setup by pressing F1 but this doesn't seem to help me get anywhere else. Any ideas on how to make this dinosaur run?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like you need to replace the dead hard drive and then install an operating system on the new hard drive.

I wouldn't spend much money on it though, it maxes out at a measly 136MB of RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/Packard+Bell/Legend+409+CDT/list.html

System requirements for Windows XP operating systems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865

If you simply want a boot disk, you can get one here:

http://bootdisk.com/

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This computer is so old i would not bother with it. I tossed 2 old P-B legends a few months ago simply because there is no new software that will run on them. I still liked playing Gnome once in a while, but overall they are not worth any effort to fix. Much faster and better computers can be bought for $100-200 that are better suited for children. Win 95 & 98 computer's are too easy to mess up by kids playing on them.

By the way, did you know that you cannot use a original Hard drive to install any operating system because P-B used a Tattoo operating system to install windows on the computer. This means the computer will NOT even boot up when you try installing anything different than the original OS. I tried this many years ago and ended up hassling with P-B for a new tattoo CD. I did finally install win ME on one of the computer's, after not only replacing the hard drive, but also the combo modem-soundcard( with 2 different cards) in the computer. Then i had the problem of finding drivers for the original hardware in the computer. That's why they were known as Packard- H_ll computers.

Just some thought's for you

SRX660

adams0029

adams0029

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks,
Sounds like they are on their way to the dump.....
Sam