Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow boot up now

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
The computer is a HP Pavilion a610n It used to boot directly into windows xp home. Now instead a blue screen HP invent comes up and it sits for quite awhile before going into Windows. Not sure of why the change. HP manuals don't give me a clue as to the reason. Can I change this back?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
once you finally get booted up is the computer as fast as it was...

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
when I get to Windows things seem normal. I would like to know why it changed and if I can go back to where it booted almost immediately into Windows. I have done all the normal stuff, check for virus, defrag, deleted clutter.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Click Start... Run... type control userpasswords2 ...then press enter
Clear the check box captioned Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
Click OK.
Enter the user name and password for the account you want to log in to at start-up...
OK your way out...reboot and see if its back the way it was

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I can try this tomorrow. The pc has never had a password on it as many people use it during the day.

beckmancameron

beckmancameron

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Try to remove application list from from system tray which run on start up. You need to scan to boot area also.Registry setting is there to manipulate the time.