Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp wont load

• Please log in to reply

bg13

bg13

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Thanks in advance for your help.I turned off my computer last week by just holding down the power button.Now when I try to turn it on it goes to a completely black screen when windows should be loading. I have all my original cds that dell sent with the computer.Any help would be appreciated
I am using my daughters laptop to access this forum .

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you boot into safe mode with command mode...if so do so and at the prompt type chkdsk /r
and press enter...

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process when it is used with the /r switch, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...