Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i have a key/license but no cd?!

• Please log in to reply

penguin1029

penguin1029

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok i lost my XP and Vista cd
i have a lisence/key to run both OSs
what can i do?! i am currently running ubuntu
my computer is a Sony Vaio

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How old is the Sony Vaio and what model is it?
Was it bought brand new and if so did you receive recovery disks with it?
You are stating two different OS's but what was the original OS that was installed on the system?
Where did the reg keys come from?

penguin1029

penguin1029

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

You are stating two different OS's but what was the original OS that was installed on the system?

a couple years
i got it used
model vgn-cr120e
windows vista originally
currently ubuntu
never got disks

penguin1029

penguin1029

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

a couple years
i got it used
model vgn-cr120e
windows vista originally
currently ubuntu
never got disks
i have windows key

Edited by penguin1029, 24 October 2010 - 11:14 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you installed Ubuntu did you blow away the partitions and if so was there more then one partition?
If there were two partitions did you blow away both?
What version of Vista does it say was originally installed Home, Media ...?

penguin1029

penguin1029

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

When you installed Ubuntu did you blow away the partitions and if so was there more then one partition?
If there were two partitions did you blow away both?
What version of Vista does it say was originally installed Home, Media ...?

Its vista home prenium
it didnt have a OS when i got it so i installed XP
then i installed Ubuntu so there is no recovery partition

penguin1029

penguin1029

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry about the double posts

Edited by penguin1029, 24 October 2010 - 12:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the good thing is you can reload the original OS by borrowing a disk from someone but it has to be Vista Premium.
You can use the key located on the bottom of the laptop to register it then.

penguin1029

penguin1029

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

OK the good thing is you can reload the original OS by borrowing a disk from someone but it has to be Vista Premium.
You can use the key located on the bottom of the laptop to register it then.

no one i know has a disk :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Presuming it is not dual boot XP/Ubuntu and you say you have lost the XP CD. AND XP not being on the computer, how do you have the XP Product key.
I am not making any suggestion that you are trying to do anything improper, but please be aware that this forum does not help in anyway with the installation of unlicensed software OR the improper use of licensed software.
If the XP installation was a borrowed CD etc. OR a rogue copy of an XP installation those as a VLK, volume licensing key it is illegal.
If it was an OEM (Oringinal equipment manufacturer from another computer it is also illegal.
In relation to the originally installed VISTA - The product key should be on the base of the laptop on what is known as the COA Certificate of Authenticity label. You can legally use that key to install VISTA, but the problem will be obtaining the correct installation CD.
SONY will supply, but I have no idea of cost.

Rshaffer61 -BEING TYPED BEFORE your post appeared

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 October 2010 - 12:23 PM.

Advertisements

penguin1029

penguin1029

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Presuming it is not dual boot XP/Ubuntu and you say you have lost the XP CD. AND XP not being on the computer, how do you have the XP Product key.
I am not making any suggestion that you are trying to do anything improper, but please be aware that this forum does not help in anyway with the installation of unlicensed software OR the improper use of licensed software.
If the XP installation was a borrowed CD etc. OR a rogue copy of an XP installation those as a VLK, volume licensing key it is illegal.
If it was an OEM (Oringinal equipment manufacturer from another computer it is also illegal.
In relation to the originally installed VISTA - The product key should be on the base of the laptop on what is known as the COA Certificate of Authenticity label. You can legally use that key to install VISTA, but the problem will be obtaining the correct installation CD.
SONY will supply, but I have no idea of cost.

Rshaffer61 -BEING TYPED BEFORE your post appeared

i have an XP license from the XP box thing when you buy it (never used before this)
and i really cant pay sony:$22 for cd
so i LEGALLY have the licenses for xp and vista (but i lost the xp disk and i really dont want XP)

Edited by penguin1029, 24 October 2010 - 12:30 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you have is a problem then. Without being able to borrow a Vista or XP disk of the same type you have a license for you are stuck.
Since Sony has the recovery cd's for 22 dollars that is the other option you have.
I'm not sure what we can do if you can't borrow a cd of either OS or purchase the recovery cd's from Sony which would include Vista and all your original drivers and program that were included when the system was brand new.
The fact that 22 dollars is not a option for you then the possibility of purchasing either OS is out since that would be at least 80 to 100 dollars for a new cd.
The only realistic option I see you have at this point is to stay with Ubuntu till you can at least purchase the recovery cd's from Sony.

penguin1029

penguin1029

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

What you have is a problem then. Without being able to borrow a Vista or XP disk of the same type you have a license for you are stuck.
Since Sony has the recovery cd's for 22 dollars that is the other option you have.
I'm not sure what we can do if you can't borrow a cd of either OS or purchase the recovery cd's from Sony which would include Vista and all your original drivers and program that were included when the system was brand new.
The fact that 22 dollars is not a option for you then the possibility of purchasing either OS is out since that would be at least 80 to 100 dollars for a new cd.
The only realistic option I see you have at this point is to stay with Ubuntu till you can at least purchase the recovery cd's from Sony.

ok, thanks maybe i will use Wine for windows programs....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would be the easiest right now.
I use Mandriva 2010 and I have a triple boot setup with XP 64bit, Win 7 64 bit and Mandriva 64 bit.
After using Linux for the last year I don't spend much time in my Windows partitions except for updating them and playing my games.
If Linux could figure out how to play the pc games without wine then I would stay in it.
Good luck and if you purchase the recovery cd's (which I highly suggest you do) then post back and we can help with any issue you may have then.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Why not just contact the local computer shop and ask them how much to install Vista for you on your product key, explaining you have lost the CD