Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel DG45FC BIOS Issue

• Please log in to reply

greenshorts

greenshorts

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Guys,
Wondering if anyone can help?
I've recently built my new system using a the Intel DG45FC motherboard and 2 x 2GB 2rx8 pc2-6400u-666-12-E3 Samsung Ram.
Anyway a friend suggested that i change a couple of things in my BIOS settings. I managed to change the Raid driver to AHCI not native.
Also he suggested i set the Ram FSB to 667mhz to improve the response times?
I've now changed the ram settings and now the computer will not start. The fan will spin for 2 seconds and then cuts out for around 2 seconds and runs in that continous loop indefinatley. Nothing appears on the screen.
I have tried removing the ram and starting the computer, this just gets me 3 beeps, indicating no or faulty memory.
I've tried removing the cmos battery for an hour to see if this resets. Nothing seems to work.
Seems like i've built an expensive brick!!

Hope someone can help as i've run out of ideas?!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi mate,

There should be an option somewhere to reset the BIOS by using jumpers across certain pins on the motherboard - the manual should have all info on how to do this.

Other than that try swapping different RAM sticks around - try booting with only one stick, then only the other. Changing the settings may have decided to stuff one up? Got any more compatible RAM you could try as well?

greenshorts

greenshorts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Troy,
Thanks for the quick response.
I've tried removing the jumper to access bios recovery, but it does exactly the same.
I have borrowed 2gb of corsair memory from a friend and the fan kept spinning normally as it should but there is no signal to the monitor/tv and there is no keyboard reaction or post beep? As for the other ram, my friend tested it on his system and it is fine?
Any other ideas or is it off to intel with the board?
Thanks

Jase

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'd push your mate and see how keen he is to swap and test. That way you could definitely pinpoint the problem part if he has a system similar to yours.

Otherwise it wouldn't hurt to contact Intel support and see what they say.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I've tried removing the jumper to access bios recovery, but it does exactly the same.

Did you do this as described on pages 48 & 49 of the user manual, the reason I ask is because not all MBs require you to power the system up while the jumper cap is moved, your MB does, sorry if you have done it this way but if you havn`t here is a link to your MB manual for convenience;
http://downloadmirro...e01_English.pdf

Edited by phillpower2, 26 October 2010 - 08:17 AM.

greenshorts

greenshorts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi philpower2, yes followed the instructions as in the manual.

Have spoken to intel support twice today via livechat today and have been advised to remove battery overnight to clear the cmos as it takes that long to clear? (first agent said 45mins?)
Also got advised to do a bios recovery but nothing happened
If battery removal tonight fails i've been given a ticket number and told to call warranty services.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update I hope you get it sorted one way or the other.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I've never had an issue resetting the BIOS in any machine and I've never had the battery out for more than about 5 minutes... generally a minute.