Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not even sure this is in the right topic.

• Please log in to reply

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Still kinda new to all this technical stuff, but shooting for getting neck deep into it.

I bought a custom rig from Ibuypower.com a few years back and had no problems with it till now.
So about a week ago my computer started freezing up, windows would "not responding" and refuse to close out. At first i would be to open other windows, but they would do the same thing. It wouldn't shutdown or restart unless i manually dump it. So starting it in safe mode i ran my full scans, defrags, and cleaned up the registry and start up. Nothing.
So after a day or so limping along like that, it seemed to finally eat it. I woke up and noticed the monitor blank with only the cursor, but the keyboard wasnt on (which includes the mouse). So i shut off the tower and leave it off while i went to work. When i came home i turned the tower on... and thats about all that happened. The tower turns on, the lights, the fans, and the ROM drives all work, but there seems to be no signal sent to the monitor or keyboard, therefor it doesnt boot up (doesnt even sound like it tries to boot).

So i decide this was a good excuse to open it up and clean it. Got it all dusted and cleaned up, but having it open gave me the itch to upgrade, hoping by chance it may cure issue. I replaced the power supply, the graphics card, and the CPU heat sink. Also added 2gb more memory. With fingers crossed i plugged it all back up and turned it back on.... nothing different. Does the same thing, tower and everything powers up fine and visually works, but nothing other then that.

So where to i go from here? cant get enough out of it to factory reset it. I really dont want to give in and turn it over to "geek squad" i want to fix this myself, but is it within my means? So is the Geek Squad my only option? Any advice would be wonderful, thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi Psychofist :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.
Can you provide us with some motherboard details, make and model or series number.
Couple of things for you to try to see if we get any kind of change or improvement
1: Try removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB to clear the CMOS, if you get
a screen you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date, save & exit.
2: Remove all the Ram and power up, you will not get a display but you may get error
beeps which may suggest it is not a Ram problem, if the board beeps try one stick of
Ram at a time in each slot until each stick has been tested in each slot, make notes
of any results.
3: Disconnect everything from the MB except the psu, video, 1 stick of Ram and the
keyboard, the idea is to at least try and get the MB to post, if it does you can then
add one component at a time until you discover the problem component/s, you must turn
off the power and remove the power cord from the wall before adding or removing items.
Finally if your MB has onboard video try that and when you remove the CR2032 battery
on the MB use a new one to replace it if you can.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The MB is P5N-D that's about all I know about it however.

Someone suggested that battery before as well, but I can't seem to find it. I'll continue looking tho. Trying to do so with out pulling other things out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
CMOS battery:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your MOBO. The battery is located between the blue and black slots.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Thanks rshaffer61 for the additional info and thumbnails :D
Psychofist we now know that your MB does not have onboard video but it does have 2 add on video card slots so an additional thing you could try is the video card slot that you do not normally use (the blue one or the black one).

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Replaced the Battery... Nothing. On to the Ram...

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
After replaceing the battery, I moved the ram around, reseating it. And that seemed to do the trick, that's for everything, I'll be sure to post if I get any lingering problems.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Thanks for the update and hopefully the issue is now resolved.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed phillpower2 and myself to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

Psychofist

Psychofist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you both, was tons of help. Im pretty impressed with this whole thing, except me to come back here if i ever need to again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and enjoy the other forums as there is a wealth of information here from both staff and other members. ;) ;) :D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Haha great work guys, I asked for the thread to be moved from the virus section as I pinpointed it as a definite hardware issue. So now I'm here to help... hehe... had a busy day at work.