Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't boot from CD

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 - currently installed with Windows Vista Business 32-bit with SP1. I want to boot from cd (the cd has an ISO image of Win 7 64 bit).

I sent my laptop to lenovo a couple weeks ago because the OS (win 7) randomly stopped loading. Instead, it would just be stuck at some error screen. But they re-imaged it, so now everything is okay (I am actually using it right now).

Now the problem is that I cannot install Win7. It just simply refuses to boot from CD. I also tried booting from USB stick, and external hard drive. I messed around with the boot order, and even excluded the internal hard drive from the boot order - but when I did that it wouldn't boot anything - it would just result in an error and say "operating system cannot be found" for the CD/USB/external HD. So I don't think the problem is that it cannot detect the device, rather it cannot detect the ISO image for some reason. Do you think it would help any by trying to boot a 32 bit OS ISO instead of a 64 bit? I don't see why it would matter.

Another odd thing is that my laptop will read/detect blank and non-blank CDs along with non-blank DVDs. But it will not detect blank DVDs for some reason.

The DVD is detected on my laptop and also on my desktop. Both PCs detect the Win 7 Pro 64-bit ISO image. I haven't checked to boot it on my desktop (and will not be able to until Friday), but I am sure it will boot from CD fine on my desktop.

Any help in installing win7 would be appreciated - it is quite annoying!

Edited by Sk0rch, 25 October 2010 - 12:29 AM.

Advertisements

CountryWizard

CountryWizard

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
You can not load Windows 7 from an ISO disk... You need a burning program like Nero Rom Burner or poweriso to make a bootable cd from your iso... AN iso is simply am image file.

For more detailed help, please refer to this page:

http://www.petri.co....files_to_cd.htm