Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ridiculous download speed

• Please log in to reply

theleech

theleech

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi there, I'm having serious problems with my download speed. I believe I'm on an 8mb/s maximum package from AOL. There are 4 PCs, a laptop, an Xbox and a PS3 on the network, but even when none of which are using any real bandwidth I still get a ridiculously slow speed. At this moment, i am on 150 kb/s , but this is fluctuating between about 15 and 350 kb. The most annoying thing is that it's not consistently slow, every now and then I get a speed near or above 1 mb/s, although only for an hour or so. I am using a Netgear Router, and it has been recently reset to factory settings.

According to speedtest.net, I have a download speed of 2.23 mb/s and an upload of 0.24 mb/s. My ping is 91 ms. When I have my random bursts of fast downloading, the speed is normally around 6 mb/s.

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry in advance for any information I have forgotten.

Advertisements