Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Added new RAM freezes computer, but.....

• Please log in to reply

Phingocisco

Phingocisco

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Recently I have added 8gb of ddr3 to my computer. What would happen is after the computer boots and loads unto windows, about 1 minutes after the desktop shows up, it would freeze and not move or restart. Here are my computer specs:

Computer manufacturer/model: ASUS CG5290
Motherboard: asus rampage ii gene variant mATX
PSU: Rosewill 950w
GPU: Dual HD5770 crossfire
Processor: i7 OC @ 3.8
Operating system: vista home premium
RAM: GeIL Evo ONE 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) 9-9-9-24 1.5v

What was added: GeIL Value PLUS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) 9-9-9-24 1.5v

Ok so those are the specs, when I added JUST the new ram, both sticks it loaded fine and everything was working.... But I didn't let it sit to see if it froze.

So than I added both the new ones and the old ones to the motherboard, it would read 8gb on windows welcome screen, but on CPU-Z it read 12gb out of the 16gb installed.

My guess is that one of the RAM was faulty. So after a few minutes of thinking, I put the ram in this sequence.
I have 6 slots for ram and my motherboard supports up to 24gb. The ram slots goes like this, "black slot, blue slot, black, blue, black, blue.

I put it in like this: Old ram, new ram, old ram, new ram, open slot, open slot.

So thecomputer loaded fine and windows welcome screen showed 16gb, and CPU-Z showed all 4 slots running 4gb totaling to 16gb.

After about 20 minutes of getting owned in Starcraft 2 my computer froze for 30 seconds, than resumed.... Weird. Afterwards I played fallout new vegas for 10 minutes and the computer completely froze out.

Besides trying to figure out why my computer is freezing, I was wondering also if it matters where you put in the sticks of ram in the slots. Another sequence I did with the ram installation was: old, old, new, open slot, new, open slot. So the new ram were installed in the black slots only.

The only reason I brought that up is because it made my computer load so fast, everything was literraly twice as fast, until the comp froze.

The while time the computer was at it's default values.

Advertisements