Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP Pro on Dell Inspiron Mini 910

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
UPDATE: Okay i have successfully installed the operating system on the notebook from a bootable memory stick!
anyone needs yo know how to do this i found a program called wintoflash. very easy to use!
if you then have a problem after reboot with missing file hal.dll use one of the debug boot ups to finish the install!..

Anyway this leads on to my other question, the laptop is now running fine but the only problem is it won't boot up unless the install memory stick is plugged in and i use a debug option from it.

I Believe this is to do with the boot.ini file looking in the wrong drive... but i really don't know how the boot.ini file should be setup.
I tried xp repair service of the install disk restting the boot.ini file but that didn't work either.

How should the boot.ini file be? I.e i know it has one hardrive , but a hidden 50ish meg partition on it.

:D !!

Hi,
I've got a Dell Inspiron mini 910 and have had some problems with it. I decided to reinstall windows on it and also upgrade it from to xp pro.
It does not have a CD drive and i can't get it to Use an external USB one to install it from the disc.. (Have Updated BIOS, Any other idea's to solve this?)

Have been trying to install it from a bootable USB Flash drive but have had no sucess. Either get Error Files missing, when trying to launch the installer.. furthest i got was the actual installation running and then saying it can't find files.

I have been following also sorts of different guides on the google like

http://www.msfn.org/...ll-xp-from-usb/
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5306

Have also tried installing xp on the memory stick and installing it from there.

I Wiped the computer harxddrive and did not make a backup as there was nothing of value on there and i didn't see it being this problematic!

Anyone had the same problem as this...? Any Suggestions on what else to try?

Any help will be VERY GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED haha. I'm getting so fed up with this!!

Spud

Edit: If i were to install xp on an external harddrive and boot the laptop up from that, then try to install from the external cd rom drive would that work? i have read mixed comments on that...

GRRR this is fustrating!

Edited by ==SpuD==, 26 October 2010 - 12:32 PM.

Advertisements