Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with peripherals and/or hardware

• Please log in to reply

Draupnir

Draupnir

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I have been having problems with my computer and have tried everything that I can, and nothing seems to work. I do not want to spend hundreds on this slightly older machine and I do not trust any of the computer techs in my area so I would like to try and repair my machine and replace the part that is broken.

The problem:
Starting a couple months ago when I start playing a game, or anything that seems to use a lot of computer resources my peripherals turn off then back on constantly and sometimes just turn off altogether. Each time it does it both of them go at the same time, my mouse comes back fairly quickly but the keyboard takes a good 15 seconds usually to boot up again. It happens somewhat randomly but very frequently making games unplayable. This rarley/almost never happens just in windows or on the internet but i cant do anything else! I took apart the machine to dust/check connections/wiggle wires/etc and afterwards my machine would not turn on at all, and after some more tampering it turned on but would not recognize the hard drives, then after some more it turns on just fine like it used to but same mouse/keyboard problems during games.

The problem will occur in all enviroments such as right after booted up, been running all day, etc. I replaced the graphix card because it was an upgrade i had already planned to do and already ordered on the way before the problem started happening and the card is more energy efficient and the problem went away for a week then came back. Also this whole thing started more slowly moths ago but now is unbearable.In the list below I will list the things i have done to try and fix it so far.

What i have tested so far:
-Tried other peripherals, same problem with them.
-Uninstalled/re-installed and updated all peripheral drivers and software
-Formatted hard drive/ re-installed windows and reinstalled all drivers from scratch.
-I tried it with non of the logitech software installed.
-I Updated all the motherboard drivers
-Took apart maching and inspected connections.
-Dusted the internals with the air duster thing.
-left psu off (switch in the back) for days and turned it back on.
-I have all virus programs running such as comodo/avast/malware bytes, all updated, no viruses at all.
-I tried plugging the computer directly into the wall.
-All the fans are running.
-I did not update the bios cause last time I screwed up my computer

My machine specs:
-About 4 years old
-Windows xp pro 32 bit
-Intel Core2 duo 2.4 GHz
-2 gig RAM (cannot remember the exact type)
-Logitech G15 keyboard (older blue light one)
-Logitech M518 optical mouse
-Asus P5B-E Motherboard
-Antec phantom 500w power supply
-Current video card: eVGA e-GeForce GT220 1GB DDR3
-Old Video Card: Asus Radeon 3870

Anyways, i am fresh of the windows restart still the same results and I am at a loss! If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. I was this close to buying a new psu but I really dont want to pour money into this machine if I dont have to as I plan on building a new rig sometime in 2011.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi Draupnir :D

I was this close to buying a new psu but I really dont want to pour money into this machine if I dont have to as I plan on building a new rig sometime in 2011.

The symptoms you are describing may be caused by a bad psu which is putting out unstable volts/ampages, as you are planning on a new rig in 2011 you have nothing to lose by purchasing a more powerful quality brand psu now, you would then be able to transfer it into your new build when required, below is a link to the minimum I would recommend you purchase;
http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16817139006

EDIT: -

I have all virus programs running such as comodo/avast/malware bytes, all updated, no viruses at all.

Running more than one AV and having more than one Firewall can cause issues also such as over stretching resources and conflicting between themselves, what do you have running/installed?

Edited by phillpower2, 26 October 2010 - 02:33 PM.

Draupnir

Draupnir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, Thanks for the reply! i am a very inexperianced builder and was hoping to get a place such as NCIX or Memory express to do the build for me and I'm not sure if they would let me bring in parts, plus I live far away from both of them. That is an idea though.

When the problems started happening, all i had were Malware bytes and comodo. Since the problems I have installed avast as well and even tried doing a cleaner program to get rid of any wild registration files etc. But even on the fresh install with nothing but windows firewall the problems are exactly the same :D

Anyways, thanks for the advice ;)

Draupnir

Draupnir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will be buying a psu for the time being just to get me through until I get my new computer in a few months. Will this psu work with the specs on my system there?

Corsair CMPSU-430CX
specs:
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5Vsb
Max Current 20A 20A 28A 0.8A 3A
Max Combined Wattage 120W 336W 9.6W 15W

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
The temporary psu you are suggesting would be ok as your GFX card only requires 300W minimum, but as I previously suggested consider purchasing the 750W now and then transfer it to your new rig next year, you are wasting 50 bucks otherwise; http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16817139006 -http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 or
http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16817139017 compare the prices and the reviews and then decide, for peace of mind use the Corsair psu calculator here http://www.corsair.c...er/default.aspx

Draupnir

Draupnir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can get the 430w for 29.99 w/ free shipping brand new. When I get my new rig built next year I do not want to bring in the psu to the computer store and render my old computer usless, I know someone who will take it off my hands for some cash if it has a working psu. I am going to go with this 30$ psu for now and get an 850 or higher quality one when I built my new system. Thanks for all your advice though :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Ok the decision is yours to make & I hope everything works out for you :D

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

When the problems started happening, all i had were Malware bytes and comodo. Since the problems I have installed avast as well

Avast is a virus scanner. Is comodo a virus scanner, firewall, or registry scanner?
Malware bytes antimalware (MBAM) can be run with a virus scanner.
If you have more than 1 AV scanner running you can be doing more harm because they will conflict.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Is comodo a virus scanner, firewall

Depends on the installation. It has the capability to do all :D

Draupnir

Draupnir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I only use Comodo the firewall. Avast is the only active scanner, comodo is my firewall, and malwarebytes to scan my computer from time to time because it seems to catch more things than avast.

All of it is moot though, because i have done a complete format/re-install of the entire hard drives and windows, and have tried it without any of them, its still exactly the same, so new psu is on the way, 30 bucks with free shipping, and Should be golden unless its the motherboard in which case I am screwed :D