Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot after power outage(s)

• Please log in to reply

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Thanks in advance for the help.

After two power outages, one last night caused by my family shutting the main breaker at the panel (long story related to smoke detectors), and a storm related loss of power from the grid this morning, I am unable to boot.

I receive the message: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selceted drive and press a key" I also in my multiple attempts got a "CMOS checksum bad, overclocking failed, chassis....." message

I have scrolled through dozens of posts here and across the web, and can't seem to come up with a fix.

Booting to the Vista (32 bit Ultimate) CD to utilize the repair feature, and selecting startup repair brings me to a "select operating system" screen which is blank....

The initial screen I saw on startup was an AMI screen referring to time and date setings. I went into the setup and re-set the time and date, which is maintaining itself.

I have monkeyed with the BIOS settings and BOOT priority, and am not sure if things are square there. The hard drives are recognized, as much as I can tell.

I built this system (with much help) a few years back. I am at a total loss, and this is the primary machine for myself and my three kids. All of our important files, photos, homework, etc are on it.

Any suggestions? I am very malware savvy, and I can with relative certainty tell you the machine is clean in that regard. All systems were fully functional prior to the power loss this morning.

Thanks again.

Edited by DangerousThing, 26 October 2010 - 10:34 AM.

Advertisements

CountryWizard

CountryWizard

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
What system are you running..any details...?

Edited by CountryWizard, 26 October 2010 - 10:31 PM.

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Thanks for your response. The problem has been remedied. I am running two hard drives, after the power loss(es), the drive on which Vista was loaded was not in the boot menu choices.

Just posting here fixes things!