Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not POST

• Please log in to reply

RESBAK

RESBAK

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I got this computer from a friend because he can't get it to work anymore. It is an HP Pavillion a1250n, Windows XP. When I try to turn the computer on, it just hangs at the blue HP screen (NOT BSOD!) and will not POST. No beeps whatsover, it just freezes on the HP screen.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi RESBAK,
You may have a corrupt OS (missing files for example) or the HDD may have issues.
Do you have an XP installation disk or any recovery disks that came with the computer?
Can you boot into safe mode and then last known good configuration (tap F8 on boot up).
Dependent on the answers to the above may determine what advice you receive.

RESBAK

RESBAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Unfortunately, we dont have the recovery or installation disk anymore. I tried to boot into safe mode but it doesnt work when I press F8, the keyboard seems to be unresponsive, the numlock/capslock light doesn't turn on when I press them :D All it does is to go to the HP screen (sample image below) and just stays there.

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
What type of keyboard are you using USB or PS2 (wired) if you are using the USB type try a PS2 type.

RESBAK

RESBAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I was using a PS2 type of keyboard and it is not responding. It just turns on, goes to the blue HP screen, keyboard not responding and just sits there.

CountryWizard

CountryWizard

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
If you have a disc, try loading from disk... Also, try resetting your cmos by unplugging computer and removing battery for 1 minute... hold the power button down while unplugged and battery out to discharge any power left in capacitors...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
As suggested by CountryWizard try clearing the CMOS, this will restore the MB back to its default settings so once this has been done you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date and then save and exit.
To enter BIOS tap F8 on boot up to save and exit tap F10, see page 10 of your user manual "replacing the MB battery" it is the same procedure http://h10032.www1.h...l/c00311110.pdf
Please be sure to remove the power cord from the wall first and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, also whilst you have the case open have a good clean out of any heat trapping dust, remove any add on cards and blow out the slots and replace securely, do the same with the Ram stick/s and finally make sure all connections are secure before re-assembling the computer.