Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer's randomly freezing

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
My computer has randomly started freezing. Recently, I upgraded my computer with some new hardware: a new GPU, a new HDD, and a new processor.

HDD: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=
GPU: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=
CPU: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=

^ These are all my new things.

My PSU = http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=
My mobo = BIOSTAR Group TA790XE
RAM = 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-16)

^ Existing hardware. The Biostar TA790XE is relatively new to the system.

Whatever I'm doing and whenever I'm doing something, it grinds to a sudden halt. Literally, the sound makes a repetitious noise and everything freezes up. No ALT+Tab, no Ctrl Alt Delete, no Blue Screen of Death. My OS is Vista 64.

Some clues: It doesn't ever freeze in safe mode or at the windows login screen. Once I get to the desktop? A grinding halt in <30 seconds.
Also, this has been suggested to me:

did you read or do this first.
If you plan to upgrade processor from your existing unit, please update bios first before changing or upgrading processors.

http://www.biostar-u...rt.php?S_ID=417

Yet I don't know what to do with that information, or if it's relevant.

Please help.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 27 October 2010 - 01:31 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You need to preview, then test your links before posting as none of your Newegg links work. My first thought is you overloaded the PSU with all that new hardware.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Ah my bad I copy and pasted a lot of that. Sorry, edited. I do in fact preview but I missed that.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 27 October 2010 - 01:33 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Your new graphics card requires a minimum of 450W that only leaves 70W for the rest of your system.
Safe mode only uses the minimum resources and whilst booting up your graphics card is not under load
so it is not drawing as much power as it would normally so there is more available power to supply
other components, use the attached link to find the recommended size psu for your system; http://www.corsair.c...er/default.aspx

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
So you think 70W isn't enough for the rest of the system?

Why wasn't there a problem until now? It's been two weeks.

The calculator says that a VX450W and VX550W are recommended, and I'm in the middle of that (change HX).

Also when you helped me pick out the new GPU a while ago we agreed 520 would be enough, so I don't think that's it?

Edited by Oniketsoku, 27 October 2010 - 06:39 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I think your PSU is fine as long as you are not overclocking. It does not give you much wiggle room for adding hardware, however. What your temps? You might try running with just 1 stick of RAM and see what happens.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Yeah I've never overclocked before in my life.

I rarely /ever/ see temperatures rise above 40 degrees in both the GPU and CPU.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Each RAM individually had no difference.

What should I do?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Interesting observations in the last hour:

1) Safe mode with Networking works fine.
2) Uninstalling GPU drivers and putting old 9800 GT card back into computer and launching to the desktop worked fine.
3) Uninstalling the GT and putting the GTX 460 back in worked fine. In the middle of installing the GPU drivers off the CD, it crashed at the normal desktop.
4) Uninstalled everything all over again and right now I'm typing here in Safe Mode Networking. The GTX 460 drivers just installed and I'm about to reboot. Also downloaded & saved drivers from the Zotac website for video card drivers to try next just in case.

Update: Worked for about 5 minutes, then it crashed once I tried to launch FFXIV. After that it crashed instantly after login and one more try it crashed before the windows logo loaded for me to enter my password. Not sure what to do now, but it definitely seems like it has something to do with drivers and the new GPU.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 30 October 2010 - 01:37 AM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Update: Worked for about 5 minutes, then it crashed once I tried to launch FFXIV. After that it crashed instantly after login and one more try it crashed before the windows logo loaded for me to enter my password. Not sure what to do now, but it definitely seems like it has something to do with drivers and the new GPU.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, it does look like a problem with graphics, but even though the PSU size is fine, that does not mean it is not faulty. I always like to know I am starting with good, clean solid power so I would try another known good PSU of adequate size just to make sure. Corsairs are great PSUs, and I use them too. And even though the size should be adequate, that does not mean it is not having problems.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
How should we test and narrow down the problem? Your thoughts are the same as mine.

Also, another update:

I removed the CMOS battery and started the computer up in safe mode. Removed all GPU drivers on the system, restarted again. Booted up in Safe mode w/ Networking, and I managed to complete the driver installation.

It worked. I was able to do anything I wanted: open 18 tabs in google chrome and multitask all the while playing Final Fantasy XIV, and let multiple videos stream & load. Unfortunately, three hours into the glory, the first freeze happened all over again. It locked up for 2 seconds, repeated the noise that was playing during the freeze like nails on a chalkboard, and was set in stone. No Blue Screen of Death, no Ctrl Alt Del, no Alt Tab, no nothing. Just holding down the power button. Now, it's back to freezing after sitting at the login screen long enough and locks up in less than 5-10 seconds after getting into the desktop. I have absolutely no idea what to do or what the problem is.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 31 October 2010 - 07:58 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

How should we test and narrow down the problem?

As I said, I would try another PSU before going further.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I don't have another PSU though, I'm just a poor 20-year-old college student with only this rig. Is it worth it to buy a new one?

If so, what should I get?

Edited by Oniketsoku, 31 October 2010 - 09:51 AM.