Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC freezes going into standby

• Please log in to reply

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,
I've changed the source path to C:/ see attachment I think this is right as per your instructions.
On running sfc /scannow I still got the request to insert the XP disk when a DLL Cache file needed to be copied.
Any suggestions on where I go from here?

The PC currently freezes on shutdown and start up. When going into stand by I get a 10 sec delay before it actualy goes into stand by but it restarts from stand by ok.
ta

D

Attached Thumbnails

• reg screen shot.JPG

Advertisements

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Update.... the issues appears to be random I've just tried to put pc into standby and it's got stuck on the preparing to standby screen.
had to switch off using the power button. on restarting using last know good session option it got stuck on the windows flag screen with the blue bar scrolling for over 2 mins so I powered off agian and chose to start windows normally and it worked ok.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Pls answer the question I asked before - will the computer close down by selecting Turn Off - rather than Standby and then reboot OK

2. Regarding the system file checker aspect, it works as follows - if the required files can be found in the various places on C drive, such as restore points etc. it will find them there. If you had a complete image back up, we could direct it to there. As it is insistent on requiring the XP SP3 CD, the way round this is to slipstream SP3 to the XP SP2 CD you have. Basically you are going to burn a new CD which will incorporate the two items on one CD.

3. This has two advantages.
a. you can run system file checker.
b. you can if you ever need to carry out a repair install of windows. This would leave all your personal data intact and is basically going to reinstall all the necessary Windows files.

4. The alternative is to borrow a CD from someone including SP3 but it must be the same as yours ie: XP HOME must be Home and Professional must be Professional, and of course you already know it must include SP3. - in your case.

5. I do realise that this is NOT part of your posted problem, but the ideal solution to MANY problems is of course an external hard drive
(they are so relatively cheap these days) with a complete image of the computer backed up to it. For example - I have a Western Digital sata
160Gb in this computer and using the free utility from Western Digital - Acronis I have a complete image of the HDD on an external drive.
I also have another backup on another HDD, together with other recovery software, such as a complete registry image. This HDD is not even connected to the computer. I appreciate that you may not wish to go to those lengths, but the first simple suggestion of an external drive with a backup is ideal. Not only that, but you can use it, as an additional storage drive, accessed through My Computer, just as you would access a program on the internal drive.

6. The cause of your problem amy well be a program, or service etc, running when you attempt to go to standby. That is why I suggested the clean boot. If that still works I suggest you go back there and then when satisfied that it is certainly working, re-enable one item at a time, until it fails again.

7. Post back if you are interested in the slipstreaming and I will post the instructions.

Re the attached screenshot - go Control Panel Power Options and just check that you do have it set correctly
Ensure it is Home Computer and also esnure (I think) although I am not sure, how it effects aelected standby
ie: on advanced power options, when I press power button OR Start - Turn Off - standby - that you do not have sysytem standby set at never.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 November 2010 - 06:59 PM.

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The PC freezes on both turning off and when going into standby, it then wont boot with out my intervention.

Yes I'm interested in slipstreaming.

I do have an external WD HDD. I've looked at all the backups. It appears that the windows files and program files were excluded from the back ups, only personal docs are backed up :D . I've now changed the settings so once over this problem I will do a full backup. Which is what I thought I was doing already.

Power options are as per your screen shot. On advance power settings power button = shut down. sleep button = standby

Thanks for your continued support.

D

Edited by dean199, 03 November 2010 - 04:48 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Use the Acronis True Image from Western Digital.
Here is the link
http://support.wdc.c...119&wdc_lang=en
You can tell if you have the full image. It is more or less the same as the used space on the drive you are imaging.
It is not really the correct time to do it now as if there is file corruption that is causing this problem the image would of course also have that file corruption.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 November 2010 - 07:08 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please supply the following
1. Amount of free apace on the hard drive.
Open My computer, hold mouse on C drive (if that is the main hard drive) and it will tell you. OR right click the drive, click Properties and it will tell you there with a diagramatical image.

2. The amount of ram and the speed of the processor.
Click Start, right click My Computer, click Properties and it is on the general tab. It will open on that tab.

3. Which anti-virus program do you use.

4. WERE there ANY problems before the updates.

5. PLease go back and check if there are any more updates offered.

6. WHAT date was the last update before this 98.

7. Was this one of the 98 updates
KB977165

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 November 2010 - 07:32 PM.

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the link for image back up will come in useful once we’ve sorted this issue.

1, disk size 149GB. Free disk space 42.6 GB.

2, 2GB ram, ADM Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.1GHz

3, avsta - free version

4, Very occasional issues with ie freezing but nothing that stands out as a major issue

5, There are 9 software updates and 5 hardware updates details in screen shots plesae advise if you want me to run these updates.

6, 09/01/2010 - Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)

7, No I can't see KB977165

Ta,
D

Attached Thumbnails

• windows update 1.JPG
  • windows update 2.JPG

Edited by dean199, 04 November 2010 - 01:34 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
YES
Certainly 1, 3 and four on the hardware list.
You may as well do all the hardware list.
Leave the Software list for the time being.

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
All hard ware updates completed

please advise next steps

Edited by dean199, 04 November 2010 - 02:59 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Those updates particularly the processor may have solved it.
However I will not hold my breath.
Try it pls.

Advertisements

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm glad you didn't hold your breath.....

I firstly went into standby and back which worked OK

I then did start, turn off - OK it worked .... but on powering the PC up again it stayed on the window flag screen 4+ mins so I powered off using the power button and rebooted using the last known good windows settings. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/slipstreamsp3
Here is the slipstreaming link.
It is involved but not complicated.

Could you pls leave the slipstreaming whilst I just have a last go at a couple of things.
I have to be honest and say I am running out of ideas.

1. Ctrl.Alt & Del. When Task Manager opens, click Performance tab - how much ram is actually available.
2. Download this pls and run it. Before you actually run the program
http://www.malwareby...startuplite.php
and presuming that you are NOT still in clean boot, make a note of which startup items are checked pls on msconfig startup tab.
You then know which to reset if necessary.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 November 2010 - 06:09 PM.

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
RAM = physical memory right? if so in (K)

Toatl 2095532
Available 1243520
System Cache 979100

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See this please and check your settings
Start, right click My Computer,. click Properties, click the advanced tab. Then click Settings on the performance heading and then click the advanced tab there. You will then be on the window in the link.
http://www.techspot....s/memory-winxp/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 November 2010 - 05:39 PM.

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
My settingas are as per link example in post 29 although my virtual memory is 2046MB.

I'm following the slipstream instructions.... do I have to run SP3 down load? I'm not given the option to just save. if I abort the run I seam to loose the data from the folder I don't get a file that's being asked for in the slipstreaming instructions
"windowsxp-KB936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe"

Any advise?

thanks,
D