Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC freezes going into standby

• Please log in to reply

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ignore the slipstreaming question I was half a sleep last night when I was attempting to slipstream.... I've now got a XP disk with sp3. :D

I've just strated to run sfc/ scandisk...... it's saying the slipstreamed disk is the wrong disk it needs to correct disk to copy DLL cache. files ;)

Edited by dean199, 05 November 2010 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I know you said ignore it, but you have to download it directly. However if you have now got one.
Run the System File checker.
Remember it will not produce a result it will just close, providing it can find all the files it needs.

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've just strated to run sfc/ scandisk...... it's saying the slipstreamed disk is the wrong disk it needs the correct disk to copy DLL cache. files

The disk I've created when put into the DVD drive boots up to XP install (see screen shot. So the file is intact and is XP with SP3. I can't understand when running scan disk it thinks it's the wrong disk.....any ideas?

Also could I do an install from this disk over the top of my current XP version??? Would this help?

Ta

D

Attached Thumbnails

• XP.JPG

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I left the disk in the dvd drive with the XP welcome screen open as per last post. started to run scandisk.... this time it appears be working!!!!!! When it ask for the XP disk I click retry and it proceeds instead of saying disk is not correct :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
the command is "sfc /scannow"

I was just about to send you this
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

and then to say. I would not really try the repair install from that CD until I had tried an INSTALL on one of my spare hard drives.
If it went pear-shaped you could be in REAL trouble,

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Macboatmaster,

I have successfully run sfc/ scannow. I have turned off and put the PC into standby several times. It has worked ok. :D

It appears that the problem has been fixed.

Thank you for bearing with me and all your help, I've learnt a lot going through this process not least to make a complete back up on my external HDD

Many thanks

D

Edited by dean199, 05 November 2010 - 04:01 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am pleased.
Thank to you as well for responding to each post.
You would be amazed how many people make it really hard work
You would also be amazed how many do not even bother to post a result or to say thanks.

What is the real question is - what was it that caused the corruption in the System files in the first place.

One favourite is a forced shut-down when they are being used.
Another is a failed installation of an update, that fails as it is installing.

Just before you go
What anti-virus and what spyware protection.

dean199

dean199

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
avast free version antivirus which I think also looks after spy ware although I have malwarebytes anit malware loaded as well.

Edited by dean199, 05 November 2010 - 05:26 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This site and many others recommends the use of these two.

The first one is an excellent Malware scanner. It does not offer real time protection on the free version, but should be installed and run every so often. Perhaps once a week or so. A Quick scan is the one to use. The full scan is really never required. Over 99% of the files are scanned on the quick scan.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

The next one is a good anti - Spyware programme despite its unusual name. Again the free version is ideal to use periodically.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

and here is the link to the excellent advice on this site
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Finally, never have two actually RUNNING at the same time.

NB. Good luck with it and you know where we are, if you need us.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 November 2010 - 05:39 PM.