Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Load failed error 998

• Please log in to reply

womanandmom

womanandmom

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi!
My HP desktop suddenly stopped working today. At start up it says "Load failed with error 998(STHIVE#0)"
Then it runs a repair, then system restore (not the factory one) then the computer starts up fine. After a few minutes the screen goes black, though the computer is still running and I have to force it to shut off to start.
In Safe Mode it gets stuck after the files for AVG (which is the only new thing I did to the computer, update to the new version of AVG) and I have to force it off. Now it's running the repair, but it hasn't actually one anything for an hour..no change to the screen.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Error 999 is a registry failure, which may be caused by a problem with the hard drive.
Error 998 looks like it may be a memory error.

Best thing to do is burn a CD of one of these and let it run for a few hours:
http://www.memtest.org/

womanandmom

womanandmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thank you, however I don't understand about half the words on that website. Which one, specifically, should I download?

The computer just ran a chkdisk I jotted down a few numbers and noes, but not sure if any of it is important.

It's ran startup repair, but has now asked to run recovery again.

womanandmom

womanandmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi, I got the download instructions from another thread.I downloaded he .iso file and burned it to CD.
however when I ask it to boot from cd (even changing the priority in setup) it gives me the blue screen and memory dump..then the cycle of startup repair failing, then system restore failing.

Did I do it wrong? What's the next step?
Thanks!!

womanandmom

womanandmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
We took out the ram, on stick at a time and restarted. It fix anything, but also didn't seem to make it worse. Now when I start up I get blue screen mem. dump (one stop error I was able to write down is x000000f4)
then it restarts, tries startup repair which fails and asks me to do system restore(i say no, because it won't restore) then sends an error report and shuts down.
I cannot get it to run the memtest, even after changing the boot priorities to all cd-rom (which I've changed back to try the ram idea).

Any help?!

womanandmom

womanandmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
The error report has a lot of numbers listed, but I grabbed this in case it's helpful
Problem Signature1: Autofailover

Thank you!!

womanandmom

womanandmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi I just followed the steps on this site, up to system recovery b/c I don't want to do that if possible (i have files i want saved!) and it didn't work. Same errors.
HP help