Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to add an attachment to a new topic or reply

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
How to add an attachment:

• Look below the message input area when starting a new topic, or adding a reply.
    Note: The attachment option is not visible when using quick reply, use the 'Full Editor'.
    Posted Image

• Click the Browse button.
    Posted Image

• A new window will open where you can browse your computer for the file to upload.

a. Select the file. In this example it's named 'Extra.txt' and located on the desktop.
    b. Click the Open button.

Posted Image

• Click the Attach button.
    Posted Image

• You will see the file name appear under the Attachements title bar.
    Posted Image

Congratulations! You just added an attachment. You can now add another attachment, or submit your new topic or reply.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
This is a very nice tutorial. I had no idea it was here. Took me some time to figure out how to add an attachment till I ventured out and clicked on the Use Full Editor button. Not many would think to do that. :blush:

Thanks admin! Added link to the canned speech I created.

:happy:

smileysmile

smileysmile

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi there - I have mistakenly duplicated posts (error messages said they weren't being posted but they were!!!) and can't find any instructions anywhere as to how to remove them! Can anyone help?

Colin

krivsonn

krivsonn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have done everything as described above, several times but it simply does not work, upon clicking attach button, a message appears, saying that no file had been selected (they were, of course)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
admins tutorial is very detailed and precise. It took me a few times to get it right. Keep trying. I'll add my instructions I created before I found this thread. Not sure it will help, but it could!

How to attach a file:

• Below Fast Reply box click on Use Full Editor button.
  • Scroll down and click on Browse button.
  • Click on Desktop (or where ever the file is located that you want to attach) found in left pane.
  • Scroll to find the image/file saved to Desktop (or where ever it may be located) and click on the image/file.
  • Click the Open button.
  • Click the Attach This File button.
  • Click Add Reply button once you have completed your post and are ready to submit.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It simply is not there Donna.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have done everything as described above, several times but it simply does not work, upon clicking attach button, a message appears, saying that no file had been selected (they were, of course)

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I always use the Add Reply button rather than the Fast Reply and this opens the full WYSIWYG editor and the only method to attach anything is a URL link, an Insert Image link which again is URL based and a Insert Email Address link.

There is no option whatsoever to attach files as shown in the tutorial.

EDIT:
This aspect is not shown in this particular forum for some reason as I have just discovered it when replying to a thread in the Hardware forum.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 06 January 2013 - 11:43 AM.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thak you, it was the full editor option I seem to have skipped, works fine now

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You guys did click on the file that you want to attach. Right? I know. Silly question.... :rolleyes:

I'm not having any trouble at all attaching files.

Provide links to the threads you are trying to attach files to and I'll see if I can attach a file to them. Only thing I can think to do. :confused:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
@ krivsonn & wolfeymole,

To achieve the ability to attach a file, you do have to use the Fast Reply box (do not click the Add Reply button) and yes, you do have to click on the Use Full Editor button found just under the Fast Reply box.

You do not have the ability to attach a file in this thread, possibly the entire Community > Site Orientation and FAQ sub-forum. I've never had a reason to try. :whistling:

Glad you both got it sorted. :happy:

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Test

brewsrgr8

brewsrgr8

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Like prior posters I have the same problem. I've tried around 20 times, everything I can think to do just doesn't work. I don't see the same reply screen as shown in the begining of this post anymore. Now the emoticons are on the bottom and the font selector etc. is gone. Something in my settings??

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
brewsrgr8,

Attachments rely on JavaScript - do you have NoScript or anything similar running in your browser? If so, try disabling it and see if you can add an attachment. Also, you can try clearing your cache. The simplest way would be through a hard reset - Ctrl F5. Alternately, you could try running TFC and see if that does the trick.

sari