Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Laptop hard drive replacement

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

The hard drive died on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5944 laptop. Right now I'm booting it from a Knoppix live cd, but I would like to get Windows back. I was wondering what I have to know to replace the hard drive. Is this one good?
Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive What does "Bare Drive mean?

Also the sticker on the laptop with the Microsoft product key got rubbed out. How can I find out the product key?
(I can access the drive from Knoppix.)
If this question is a violation of the TOU I'll edit it out.
Also where can I get a Vista Home Basic CD?

Thank You for your help!

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,712 posts

Here is a link to the laptop product page, > http://us.toshiba.co...L300/L305-S5944

A link on that page for the specs. You have a 250GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive

HDD from Toshiba, 500gb > https://mail.google....2bf03c34268e705

You can browns from this page to see all accessories and HDDs. >

Usually access parts from the back of the laptop. If you are going to install yourself, let us know.

You laptop will have recovery options, if you install another OS you will loose that option.

I can't help with your other questions.