Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSoD error message 0x0000008e on HSFBS2S2.sys

• Please log in to reply

Tikatu

Tikatu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Machine: emachines w3400 (Yeah, I know it's old.)
How long has it been happening? Just today.
AV software: paid version of AVG

Okay, my Windows XP (SP3) will boot fine, all the way to my desktop. Then I get a "found hardware to install" for a Soft V92 Data Fax Modem. If I try to install it, the system can't find the driver (mind you, I have NO idea what this fax is. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the cable modem and router that was installed roughly 6 weeks ago,). If I x out the notice, the system will shut down with the following BSoD.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xACC80253, OxAd1F671C, 0x00000000) (The third and fourth numbers will change with each boot up.)

HSFBS2S2.sys - Address ACC90253 base at ACC7B000, DateStamp 40d22194 (The file name doesn't change, but the address base and the "at" do.)

I'm at a total loss here. I don't know where to find this driver (if it's even a legit piece of hardware). I don't know how to remove the hardware, as I don't know what it is. And once that installation prompt comes up, the BSoD is inevitable. It seems to be what's triggering this BSoD.

Let me know if there's anything else you need. Thanks for any help you can give.

Advertisements

Tikatu

Tikatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well, I downloaded the driver--which seems to be legit enough--using my laptop, and plunked it into my dropbox account. That added it to the desktop. I then put the computer in safe mode. Since Windows could find the driver now, it finished installing the hardware while in safe mode. I guess that was all it needed because I didn't get the same notice about "new hardware" and I'm able to do thingss beyond the point where I would have gotten the BSoD.

Thanks anyway. Mods, feel free to lock this.

Edited by Tikatu, 27 October 2010 - 09:44 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)
This issue now appears to be resolved.