Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to run many programs (including GMER) due to loss of files.

• Please log in to reply

LoneWolf217

LoneWolf217

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, Geeks To Go!

So I was sent here by the malware forums, which is at the following link,

http://www.geekstogo...-loss-of-files/

So I guess I'll explain my full problem as I have done on so many previous topics.

I believe I am still missing files that a virus destroyed. However, I had gotten this virus a few months back, and according to the awesome malware fighter on their specific forums, I am now/was completely clean.

I had ran "sfc /scannow" very recently and repaired any missing files it could find. However, many programs are still not able to run ever since I got that virus. These programs that I know of so far is Final Fantasy 14 client and running ContentWatch/NetNanny. Upon running these programs, I receive the message "ffxivboot.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." or "ContentWatch.exe has encountered..." Additionally, I was unable to run GMER which I was supposed to do on the "Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide". Everytime I ran GMER my computer would just restart after the program was open for about 5 to 10 seconds. Also, ComboFix would run at first, but then restart around the 50th scanning stage, with no log produced upon computer restart. Plus, sometimes restarting my computer produces the following message, which I am unsure if this will help you at all, but here you go, "Microsoft Windows... The system has recovered from a serious error." and the Data report contains the Error Signature,

BCCode : 19 BCP1 : 00000020 BCP2 : 88E5E8B8 BCP3 : 88E5ECD0
BCP4 : 1A830005 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

And the technical information about the error report is,

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER088f.dir00\Mini102610-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER088f.dir00\sysdata.xml

I wanted to know how I could possibly fix some of these problems. Am I going to have to reformat my computer, or do an in-place reinstall? Would just simply reformatting my computer be much faster than any other more complicated procedures just to keep some files?

I would greatly appreciate it if you answer these questions and respond as quickly as possible.

Thanks again, Geeks To Go!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is a personal opinion, so caveat emptor.
After 20 years of fixing computers i do not bother with repairing troublesome operating systems. I preach to customers to back up all files they do not want to lose with more than one backup and even different methods of backup's( DVD's, external hard drives, and flash drives). I also like using software like Acronis to make images for easy system reinstall's. I had always liked Ghost but it does not seem to work on windows vista and 7 anymore.

On most computers i get for repairs there is no backup, so i usually just reinstall the OS after wiping the drive clean. Yes, customers grumble about having to reinstall App's and programs and making the changes to the OS to where they like the way it runs. BUT, they also like that the computer is fast again, and everything seems to work well once more.

SO, i say wipe the drive and reinstall. You will relearn the settings you had forgotten and may even remember the problem programs you installed so you do not do that again. You end up with a computer that will last a bit longer and you become better at keeping your system in top condition. What do you have to lose? Most people get a new computer every 3 to 5 years. By reinstalling you learn how to do that and it becomes easier to fix things yourself, therefore maybe keeping the computer a bit longer than normal.

SRX660