Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Router Firewall

• Please log in to reply

Niles

Niles

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am having a problem with my Netgear DG834G - every so often it drops the signal and says "local access only" on the connected laptops. It then has to be re-booted and works ok for a time.

The Netgear website suggests the problem could be down to a firewall conflict and that I should disable the firewalls on the laptops - a mixture of Comodo and PC Tools. Before I do this I would welcome any comments/advise on whether it could cause any problems with my security.

Any comments gratefully received.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

The Netgear website suggests the problem could be down to a firewall conflict and that I should disable the firewalls on the laptops - a mixture of Comodo and PC Tools. Before I do this I would welcome any comments/advise on whether it could cause any problems with my security.

i would disable the firewall in the router first and see if it solves the problem, most home routers don't have the most robust firewalls (though that's changing every day) you've probably got more control/configuration options on your software firewall than there are in the router.

Niles

Niles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I thought hardware firewalls were supposed to be better but if the software ones will keep out the nasties I will give it a go.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
professional grade and enterprise level firewalls are better than software. mainly because of the configuration options that are available...not having the router you've got, i can't inspect it's settings but typically home routers' firewalls aren't the most configurable