Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp activation

• Please log in to reply

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
after formatting my hard drive i entered a CD-key for windows xp pro for activation and it was fine, but later upon rebooting i got a message saying my hardware had changed and i had to re-activate windows. i entered my same CD-Key and it was refused. What should i do.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
call microsoft

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i was hoping i could avoid the torture of the dreaded 3 hour phone call :tazz: . oh well, ill call tomorrow, thanks

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
did the window come up b4 you entered your desktop, or did you get into windows?

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
it asked me to activate before i got to my desktop but told me i had 3 days to do so, and would remind me later then continued booting.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok, so you get to the desktop?

and im not sure im understanding what you say about entering your cd key again?

Im confused. when you get the window telling you to activate b4 you get to the desktop, what do you do then?

cloutz_11

cloutz_11

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Ok, so you get to the desktop?

and im not sure im understanding what you say about entering your cd key again?

Im confused. when you get the window telling you to activate b4 you get to the desktop, what do you do then?

View Post

I had to re-activate windows a couple of weeks ago. What happens is that they ask you before you enter your desktop. You have 2 choices, either to Activate right away or they give you a 30 day limit until you are forced to activate. (*I think it's 30 days :tazz:) During those 30 days*, you can do whatever you want with windows but then when the limit is over you are forced to call Microsoft and they give you a new Product Key.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok you are calling it a product key. I think thats the confussion on my part. I call that a WPA (windows product activation code). So get into windows and do the update to the WPA code on the internet.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Oh , and by the way, once in windows, type the following in the run box:

oobe/msoobe /a

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yea thats what is happening but when i enter my key it now says it is invalid or something, so i guess i have to call microsoft for a new one, thanks for the help.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Mrcheeks. do you or do you not get to the desktop?

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i do get to the desktop after i select "remind me later" on the activation screen. sorry if i was unclear

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Then go to run box and type:

oobe/msoobe /a

this will bring up the WPA activation screen. do your activation there while online instead of on the phone, ok?

microsoft will give you a new WPA code

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
If you encounter problems doing this, youll have to contact MS

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
thanks, this did not work so ill call MS