Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random, but frequent BSOD Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Ok, i ran the selected program from the Malware Forums, also ran Malware Bytes, and Spybot Search & Destroy, All scans came up clean, as i would suspect, as this is a new Windows Install,

Not to sound cruel or have a attitude but have you been trained in looking through the logs to spot a problem? :D
Also from the same post #24 previously we are now back to MOBO and CPU. ;)

Advertisements

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I cant say that i've been trained to scan through the log from OLT, but i did scan through the log, and didn't find any threats that would harm my system, but since i am not trained, i also backed up my conclusion by scanning with MalwareBytes, and Spybot, which didnt even find tracking cookies, aside from geekstogo.com Which would suggest my system is pretty clean.

But i didnt take your reply as rude at all, im just 100% sure it has nothing to do with a virus/malware/spyware.

And yes, i think this thread is starting to take different turns, and im getting a bit lost as to what we are covering now.

I did forget to mention that i discovered my HDD SATA cable was loose, and not sitting in place very well. I just went to CompUSA and purchased a new one, which i will install tomorrow, perhaps that may resolve an issue here or there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did forget to mention that i discovered my HDD SATA cable was loose, and not sitting in place very well. I just went to CompUSA and purchased a new one, which i will install tomorrow, perhaps that may resolve an issue here or there.

Ok let us know if it works out since I'm not seeing anything so far to cause the issue except what I mentioned in my last post.

Nick2253

Nick2253

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Ive also ran Windows Memory Diagnostics at 6 passes, No errors found
Also ran MEMTEST86 - for 8 hours, no errors found

Post 5 for the above. ;)

Post 11 is Speedfan screenshot which clearly shows the temps and voltages are well within acceptable ranges. :D

I do agree the make and model of the PSU was overlooked by myself and thank you for pointing that out. ;)
Also the make and model of the GPU will help in determining if the PSU is indeed enough to run it. ;)

Ahh, I missed that line. :(

And I agree. That power supply should easily be enough for what you've got.

However, I don't know how much I trust Speedfan Due to issues in the way in interfaces with the motherboard using its own, weird/poorly written driver, I've seen Speedfan report really strange things that don't mean anything, but can be misinterpreted as hardware problems to the inexperienced.

Also, it doesn't really matter if Speedfan is showing acceptable voltages during the system idle. What really matters is the one voltage dip you get when you begin to load the system. As all the transistors in the CPU begin to turn on and off, that voltage demand draws a significant load from the PSU, which must quickly compensate or all is lost. In fact, with most digital (i.e. Software) voltage recorders, it is impossible to detect this drop it is so short and sudden (in my experience). You really need a voltmeter with a really fast sampling rate on the PSU wires directly. Because of the danger of monkeying with the PSU, this is NOT RECOMMENDED. Since we are able to confirm successful operation of the other key components in the system (mobo/memory with MEMTEST, hard drive with CHKDSK), it only makes sense to focus on the PSU. Since we are able to stress the video card, I would say this points specifically to the CPU 4+4 circuitry as the failure/weak point. Unless you have a PSU tester that can power up the PSU and apply an artificial load, the only way to verify this is with a new/known good PSU.

Interesting. This could be the cause of the problems that we're seeing. However, I'll be skeptical because you have never reported errors booting. If you hard drive wasn't properly transmitting data to the system (which is what a loose cable implies), then I don't see how it would let you successfully boot up time and time again, but only fail under user-induced load.

--Nick

Edited by Nick2253, 02 November 2010 - 03:17 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to verify everything thus far I would like you to do the following.

Motherboard Info:

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply.
On the left side click on the Aensors directory and then on the rightcopy and paste the information that it shows.

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Nick, i too thought that if i had a loose failing SATA cable that i would be unable to boot, but it also came to mind, that if the cable is loose enough, and it was very loose, that any sort of vibration, such as the graphics card fan, and system fans, as well as the HDD spinning, and PSU running, that it may shake the cable enough to break any connection it had. But then again, im not really sure, i purchased a new SATA cable just to be sure.

rshaffer, here are the specs from SIW:

Motherboard:

Property Value
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M4A88T-M
Version Rev X.0x
Serial Number 106160520001983

North Bridge AMD 880G Revision 00
South Bridge AMD SB700 Revision 00

CPU AMD Athlon™ II X4 630 Processor
Cpu Socket Socket AM3 (938)

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 16384 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Sensors:

Sensor Value Min Max
TEK-PC
ITE IT87
Voltages
CPU VCORE 0.99 V 0.99 V 1.30 V
+3.3V 3.34 V 3.31 V 3.34 V
+5V 5.13 V 5.13 V 5.13 V
+12V 12.74 V 12.67 V 12.74 V
-12V -6.27 V -6.27 V -6.27 V
VBAT 3.28 V 3.28 V 3.28 V
Temperatures
TMPIN0 32 °C (89 °F) 32 °C (89 °F) 34 °C (93 °F)
TMPIN1 31 °C (87 °F) 31 °C (87 °F) 31 °C (87 °F)
Fans
FANIN0 2419 RPM 2402 RPM 2509 RPM
FANIN1 2454 RPM 2436 RPM 2463 RPM
FANIN2 168750 RPM 0 RPM 675000 RPM
Fans PWM
FANPWM0 0 % 0 % 0 %
FANPWM1 0 % 0 % 0 %
FANPWM2 0 % 0 % 0 %
AMD Athlon II X4 630
Temperatures
Core #0 0 °C (32 °F) 0 °C (32 °F) 0 °C (32 °F)
Core #1 0 °C (32 °F) 0 °C (32 °F) 0 °C (32 °F)
Core #2 0 °C (32 °F) 0 °C (32 °F) 0 °C (32 °F)
Core #3 0 °C (32 °F) 0 °C (32 °F) 0 °C (32 °F)
Powers
Processor 36.00 W 36.00 W 93.60 W
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Temperatures
GPU Core 46 °C (114 °F) 44 °C (111 °F) 52 °C (125 °F)
WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0
Temperatures
Assembly 33 °C (91 °F) 32 °C (89 °F) 33 °C (91 °F)

again this is the second program i've used that does not show my Core Temps.

im also concerned about the Warning from the Motherboard stats..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

This warning?
Not to worry that's normal.
Temps and voltages show as being well within normal ranges.
The bench test actually was to see if you could boot into windows and stay there without any issues.
This would have shown a problem with the mounting but since you stated you made sure there were no extra standoffs then I can only say at this point we are dealing with a cpu or motherboard issue.

Just for my own sake when you formatted and did a fresh install were the steps you took?
  • format
  • fresh install

Did you do any other steps?

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok good, that warning scared me a little.

And yes, the steps i took to install Windows was Format > Fresh Install.

since my last post, i tinkered around with the BIOS yet again, and actually ENABLED ECC Mode, in the memory options. and set it to MAX setting, so far, the PC has been running for about 5 hours with no crashes, or errors. Lastnight i had one blue-screen, which was caused by Nvidia's HD Audio Drivers, i disabled them in the Device Manager, since im using VIA HD Audio drivers (the onboard sound), and that error has yet to pop since. so hopefully (crosses fingers) enabling ECC Mode in the BIOS has fixed my problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

enabling ECC Mode in the BIOS has fixed my problem.

This would make since since it seems you have ]ECC memory.
Hopefully it will fix the errors.

And yes, the steps i took to install Windows was Format > Fresh Install.

Now to explain why I asked you this.
In some cases there are a few hidden infections that can't be found with the normal steps in the malware forum.
In even some rarer cases a simple format and fresh install would not get rid of the infection.
This is why i was asking about the steps for malware to make sure your system was completely healthy.
If the memory issue fixes the issue then we are good to go. :D
;) ;)

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i had a feeling you were up to something, haha, but i thank you, i actually learned something about malware, so i appreciate it! if anything else occurs ill be sure to post, so far ive been up and running without a hitch.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i had a feeling you were up to something, haha, but i thank you, i actually learned something about malware, so i appreciate it!

:D

if anything else occurs ill be sure to post, so far ive been up and running without a hitch.

I will continue to monitor and hope you have a great result with it. ;)

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well, hate to say it, but im back, my PC was running perfectly for few days without any problems, and as i was play World of Warcraft, the sound got "stuck" and studdered, then completely stopped working, so i decided to try and exit the game, and as i did, i recieved a bluescreen, which is posted below:

On Sat 11/6/2010 11:48:21 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF88002F85238, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80002EC3993, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110610-16380-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

i keep looking up this error, and everywhere i go everyone says its due to bad or corrupt memory. And i just dont see this as possible, since i have already replaced my two sticks of memory with new ones. and having run so many memory tests with both memtest86, and Windows memory diagnostic, both find nothing wrong, im and truely at my wits end, dumping more than $1000 dollars into this PC only to have nothing but bluescreens any time i have it on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I know we have checked this before but lets look at it again and see if it corrects the problem.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I will surely run a CHKDSK again, to further my knowledge, what exactly does CHKDSK /r fix, everytime i run it, it never finds anything. I will be back to post my results of CHKDSK.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It checks the HD consistency to make sure the sectors file table are in the correct order. If it finds anything wrong it attempts to fix them.