Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random, but frequent BSOD Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, finally done with the CHKDSK, thats about the 4th time of done that, and with a 1TB HDD, its not fast, haha. the CHKDSK reported that my Volume is clean, i monitored the scan through the 5 stages, and did not see it find and fix anything.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've been meaning to post an update, i broke down and took my pc to CompUSA, after 4 days, they had figured out that it was indeed the hard drive, which has bad sectors that were unrecoverable. i had since then bought a new HDD, same model, same size. the BSOD's seem to have stopped for a day or so and started up again, but they are different than before, and less frequent, the main errors i am getting involve WATCHDOG.SYS, a directx file, and an nvidia file, which i cannot remember the names of, i have yet to remedy these errors as well. But im still trying.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm what version of the catalyst software are you running?

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
the Event Viewer never seems to tell what caused the crash, all i have is Kernal-Power crital errors, which states windows was not shut down properly. which is a given with a blue-screen.

heres the error report for WhoCrashed:

On Wed 11/17/2010 9:55:30 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: netbt.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88002CF3360, 0xFFFFF8800A764F10, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111710-16504-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netbt.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: MBT Transport driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 11/15/2010 12:34:32 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x119 (0x7000000, 0xFFFFFA800620F010, 0xFFFFFA8004498010, 0xFFFFFA8004529100)
Error: VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111510-18298-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 260.99
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 260.99

And i am not running any Catalyst software, my graphics card is Nvidia which the drivers for that are 260.99 i believe.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Description: netbt.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 162,816 bytes (87% of all occurrence), 184,320 bytes, 149,248 bytes.http://www.file.net/process/netbt.sys.html
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program has no visible window. File netbt.sys is a Microsoft signed file. netbt.sys seems to be a compressed file.

nvlddmkm.sys

1. Click Start
2. Click Run (or in the white box that says Start Search)
3. Type C:\windows\system32\drivers and hit enter
4. Find the file nvlddmkm.sys
5. Right click on the file and choose properties
6. Go to the details tab check the version
7. It probably is 7.15.11.5669 or something close to this.

After finding out what driver version it is then proceed to the next steps.

Go Here for Nvidia drivers
Supply the requested information in the drop down windows. It will scan your system and then should give you the newest driver for your video card. Download\Install that and then it should prompt you to reboot.
If not I suggest you do just to make sure the changes take affect.

kpope78

kpope78

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello Photeck!

I am new to this site, however, I have an AAS in computer networking and over 20 years working with home PCs. I am a huge fan of NVIDIA, and I can assist you in correcting the problem you have with your NVIDIA file.

When the drivers are updated, they do not remove/replace the nvlddmkm.sys file, nor is it updated. The problem with this is that the new driver system is encountering an error when accessing this file. To fix this, we only need to replace it with the correct one.

To do that, follow these steps:

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
2. Rename nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm.sys.bak
3. Open a command prompt. (run... cmd)
4. Navigate to the NVIDIA directory - cd c:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\260.99
5. Type this command: EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys
6. Copy the newly expanded file to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory
7. Reboot

I'm certain that this will solve your problem, but please keep in mind that this fix is specifically for your BSOD involving your NVIDIA driver. This will not fix the other issues that you are having. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this particular process.

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
rshaffer, i dont quite understand the beginning of your post about netbt.sys

nvlddmkm.sys file version is 8.17.12.6099.

I went to nvidia.com and used their automatic scanner, which stated i already had the latest updated drivers, no update was needed.

kpope, your suggestion as well did not help, i went thru your steps, and nvlddmkm.sys is the same size, and version of the EXPANDED one.

as i was posting this i encountered another bluescreen, and this one did not give me a filename associated with it, BlueScreenview stated that pacer.sys, and ntoskrnl.exe were the culprits.

im quite honestly exhausted with this machine, as i seem to keep going in loops with bluescreens. ive updated every driver i can think of, ive rolled back drivers, i re-updated them, ive completely wiped my hard drive more than 8 times, and did fresh installs, only to get the same bluescreens over and over again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Per your post 51

On Wed 11/17/2010 9:55:30 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: netbt.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF88002CF3360, 0xFFFFF8800A764F10, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111710-16504-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netbt.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: MBT Transport driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Advertisements

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
haha, yea i know i posted about that file causing the error, what i meant was, i dont understand why you stated the filesize of the file in question.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I posted the description of the file and the file size is part of that. If the file size is a lot different it could indicate a infection with the Malware techs.

photeck

photeck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
netbt.sys file size is 253KB(259,072 bytes), the file size is different. This PC is not infected, i just replaced the hard drive with a brand new one, did a fresh install of Windows 7, installed google chrome, installed world of warcraft, and installed Microsoft Updates, as well as keyboard/mouse, graphics card, and MOBO drivers. theres is absolutely nothing else on this hard drive. i havent been on this computer long enough to even catch an infection, i turn it on, i browse folders, digital photos, i hop on world of warcraft, get a BSOD, turn the computer off and let it sit there lol. i do know for a fact, this will be the first and LAST time i ever build a PC, i never thought id have this many problems in my life.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
INfo on pacer.sys error.

What is pacer.sys?

Microsoft Windows QoS scheduler driver that should be located in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory.

Your errors all point to the OS, Memory, HD
Something is corrupted or failing.
When you put the system together did you make completely sure there were no standoffs anywhere under the MOBO that did not have a screw going to it?
Post 48 you stated a new hd was installed. Did you buy a brand new hd or did it get replaced under warranty?
There is a difference in most cases.
Please redo the HD diagnostics test below.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

I am beginning to think we are dealing with a MOBO problem with the errors being all over the place like they are.