Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remember When Keyboards Were Keyboards?

• Please log in to reply

MCSE4Life

MCSE4Life

• Pip
  • 1 posts
As someone who sits in front of computer for a living I spend a good deal of time dealing with inferior, sometimes borderline unacceptable input equipment which got me thinking about the good old days. Back when geeks were geeks and keyboards were keyboards. Am I just getting old (at a ripe 28) or does it seem impossible for anyone to make a halfway decent keyboard anymore? I still have my first Model M and nothing I've seen since even comes close to approaching it. Are there any real keyboards still being manufactured? I know Unicomp still makes Model Ms, but without the IBM logo on it it's just not the same.

Thinking along these lines, is there an "Model M" level mouse out there? I've read good things about the Explorer Trackball and Expert Mouse...from reviews written by end users. That doesn't count. Are these things as great as they're cracked up to be?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i can't stand squishy keys, i have to have a clickity click click when i type. i've been using a laptop for 90% of the past 5 years so full sized keyboards drive me nuts too (my hands have gotten used to being cramped i guess)

if these guys hadn't canceled their production run this would have been an option http://www.guru-board.com/ fully customizable, down to the key action

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Das Keyboard

Admit it… you long for a simpler time, a time when you could push a key on the IBM Model M keyboard and it clicked. Really clicked. Fear not! Das Keyboard’s best-in-class, mechanical, gold-plated key switches give you the tactile click you’ve been longing for.

The Noodle

The Noodle

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Model S Ultimate, i'm in lovePosted Image