Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphic card update for Win7 and LG 32HD TV

• Please log in to reply

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
My computer specs are:
Compaq Presario desktop built 2004
Upgraded from WinXP to Win7 Ult 64-bit
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ processor, 2200Mhz, 1 Core,
3G RAM (going to 4G later this month)
Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series
Adapter RAM 64MB

I have my desktop hooked up to our LG HD 32" flat screen (am handicapped and bed-bound) ;)
After the Windows7 upgrade, the resolution had to be taken all the way down to 800x600 (or revert the graphic driver) in order to have a resolution I can read from a 10 foot distance.
RESOLUTION WORKS FINE ON NORMAL LCD OR CRT MONITOR! ISSUE IS WITH 32" FLAT SCREEN ;)

I would like to use the higher native resolution allowed with text I can read, but like many others, I can't get the setting to work properly with Win7 64 and a large flat screen TV. I am thinking of updating my graphics card, but I have no idea where to begin regarding the options. I usually buy my pc parts at Newegg and don't mind spending up to about $200 for a graphics card (if that is my issue).
Also, if I require an updated power supply, I am willing to do that as well, I like my desktop and prefer not to just buy a new one (therapist says I have issues "letting go" of 'stuff' LOL) :D

The card below that I found on Newegg discussed this issue in one of the reviews, especially the issues with the Catalyst Control Center driver set:
XFX HD-465X-ZPF2 Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card
Item#: N82E16814150433

Any suggestions or help of any kind is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Bree ;)

Edited by brinas30, 28 October 2010 - 08:45 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
What is the model number of your 'LG HD 32" flat screen'?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series
Adapter RAM 64MB

This may be the issue here. From the date of your system I highly doubt it will have a PCI-E slot for a GPU and most liekly has AGP capability.
There are some high end AGP cards that would most likely work though.
A model of your Compaq will help a lot.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
37" LG Flatscreen model: 37LH20
Video Technology TFT active matrix
LCD backlight technology Wide Color Gamut-CCFL
Resolution 1366 x 768
Display format720p
Refresh rate60Hz
Image aspect ratio 16:9
Pixel response time 5 ms
Widescreen Dynamic contrast ratio 30000:1
Brightness 450
HDCP compatible
Supported DTV resolutions 720p , 1080i , 1080p , 1080/24p , 1080/30p , 1080/60p
(is that overkill with info? lol)

my desktop is Compaq Presario SR1838NX

Thanks guys! :D

Edited by brinas30, 29 October 2010 - 12:39 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I was wrong about your slots and I apologize for that. :D
Below is the listed available add on slots on your MOBO.

Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (Two available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
DIMM Slots Four (Two available)

It seems you should be able to upgrade to a newer card with higher resolution capabilities and more memory. This also will free up your ram memory that is being used by your onboard video.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
A mere 1366 x 768 pixels stretched to fill a 37" screen is going to look terrible as a computer monitor.

(My Lenovo T410s 14.1" laptop has 1440 x 900).

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Awesome Rshaffer61 ;)

My next question though is the recommendation on the type of graphics card. When I went to Newegg to purchase one, there were about 15 different options to filter from and researching what everything meant will take me a lifetime, if I only need the basics to understand what I need. Many forums I've gone through on resolution issues with large flat screens discussed to use the CCC settings to fix the issue with blurry text on smaller res, pushing windows out of vision, etc. Currently my graphics card doesn't support CCC so I don't have those options; thus, my initial light bulb that I need a new card ;)

I posted orginally:

The card below that I found on Newegg discussed this issue in one of the reviews, especially the issues with the Catalyst Control Center driver set:
XFX HD-465X-ZPF2 Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 AGP 8X HDCP Ready Video Card
Item#: N82E16814150433

Here's the link: Graphics Card

Also, I'm using all 4 RAM slots with 1G G Skill sticks, according to HP it's the most my MB will allow, so I'm already at 4G memory. My question on this then is: if I free up another slot and put in another 1G stick, would that be too much for my MB? (5G?)

If it helps, I attached a screen shot of what I'm looking at from my bed across my bedroom. The issue is that many of my windows are pushed out of view and the text is blurry and not crisp (approx 10 feet. I minimized this thread window so you could see all my settings...hope this helps?)

Appreciate all your time and help :D
Bree

Attached Thumbnails

• screen shot.jpg

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Also, I'm using all 4 RAM slots with 1G G Skill sticks, according to HP it's the most my MB will allow, so I'm already at 4G memory. My question on this then is: if I free up another slot and put in another 1G stick, would that be too much for my MB? (5G?)

Yes. Your motherboard has four RAM slots, and each slot can hold up to 1GB of RAM. (4GB total).

http://www.crucial.c...esario SR1838NX

Maximum Memory: 4096MB
Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2)
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
SpywareDR: I'm aware of this already...I was referencing RSchaffer61's comment:

It seems you should be able to upgrade to a newer card with higher resolution capabilities and more memory. This also will free up your ram memory that is being used by your onboard video.

which was kind of confusing and appeared it left me with an additional RAM slot?
Posted Image

...So moving on, can you please help me with my original question about the TYPE of card I can use. I'm not educated on the differences between graphic cards and this is where I'm stuck. I've listed a card I found on Newegg and was curious if it was compatible? Thanks Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope that is a AGP interface which your MOBO doesn't have. You can have the pick of any of these HERE though.
Let me know if you need further advice on which card and also what is your budget for this card?
You may have stated this already but I didn't go look. :D

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
That link was exactly what I needed! Thank you! Posted Image

I found a card which fits my budget and is compatible and ordering this weekend! RShaffer61 you ROCK!Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks and please let us know how everything works out or if you have any other questions.
SpywareDr and I will continue to monitor this topic for you. ;) ;) :D