Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Once Working Hard Drive Now Not Recognized - Windows XP, Maxtor 200GB

• Please log in to reply

ceradecke

ceradecke

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey Community,

Thank you very, very much, first off, for taking the time to read my post and for seeing if there is anything you can do to help me. I have an external hard drive that is not being read / recognized by my computer (The hard drive name, properties, info can be seen in the 3rd attached picture). It is actually an internal hard drive that is encased in an Adaptec "3.5 inch mobile drive." I've had this external hard drive for a few years now. It used to work just fine. However, now it will not show up under "My Computer," and I cannot access any of the stored information (The loss of the data would not even be a problem, I would just like to be able to use the drive again). Oddly enough, I just checked in the device manager to see if it was there. And it was. I had it download new drivers. This completed. I, then, exited out of device manager. I forgot to take a screen shot, so I went back into device manager and now the hard drive is no longer shown under the disc drives (See 1st attached image for the screen shot). It should read "Maxtor" something rather if I remember correctly. The Samsung one is my main internal hard drive and the WB is my passport hard drive. Lastly, the third attached image is my computer's general information (2nd image). Please let me know if you need any additional info. Thank you very much,

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG
  • untitled2.JPG
  • IMG_20101029_002702.jpg

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
I hope you realize that _ALL_ mechanical hard drives eventually fail?

Their rapidly rotating and reciprocating parts cause wear. And once the parts have worn enough, it becomes physically impossible for the drive to read/write data reliably.

Solution? Replace the worn-out drive.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

It is actually an internal hard drive that is encased in an Adaptec "3.5 inch mobile drive

Does this mean that the drive is in an external case that is internally "resting" inside the computer?
If so, can you remove it from the case and connect it directly? It could be a bad case.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
if you have the drive on your system
right click my computer-->manage
once you've done that you get this screen

does the drive show up there?

what you also can do is download seatools for windows (see link)
and run a diagnosis of the drive to see if the drive died or not

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

ceradecke

ceradecke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hmmm I think you are asking if the internal HDD is within the external casing WHILE being inside my computer tower? I originally bought the HDD to be an internal. However, upon attempting to install it in my computer tower I realized that my computer is not made for aftermarket products (I have a standard dell PC). SO, the HDD is inside the case and is outside of the computer (just sitting on my desk). It definitely could be the case, but without the case I have no way of connecting it. Thanks, 123Runner,

Chris

ceradecke

ceradecke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
dennisK16,

Yesterday, the HDD could NOT be found in Drive Management. However, today after a series of plugging in and unplugging I somehow got the drive to show up on certain things again. It still CANNOT be seen in the drive management (although there is an unnamed drive with the correct amount of storage space -- highlighted, 183GB...maybe this is it? this image is attached) or in My Computer, but it CAN be seen in the seagate seatools software and in the device manager. The only seatools tests it allowed me to run were the short and long genetic tests. I created a restore point before running. After running the tests, I received a fail for the short and a fail for the long (Please see all attached images). Following the long genetic, I received this error message:

"See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SeaToolsforWindows.frmWarrantyInfo.LoadfrmWarrantyInfo(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SeaToolsforWindows
Assembly Version: 1.2.0.4
Win32 Version: 1.2.0.4
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Seagate/SeaTools%20for%20Windows/SeaToolsforWindows.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
SpawnCLR
Assembly Version: 1.0.3895.18174
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Seagate/SeaTools%20for%20Windows/SpawnCLR.DLL
msvcm80
Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.4053
Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.4053
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_x-ww_e6967989/msvcm80.dll
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
CustomMarshalers
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/CustomMarshalers/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/CustomMarshalers.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box."

I just rescanned the device manager and seatools, and the HDD is again NOT visible in either. Maybe the tests failed because the drive was no longer recognized again. Quite confused at this point lol.

Thanks dennisK16

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled3.JPG
  • untitled5.JPG
  • untitled6.JPG
  • untitled7.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I understand now how you have the drive configured.
Is there any way you can keep the side of the computer off and still attach the drive to the cables. I usually just let the drive rest on the case or a box so its not hanging by the cable.

Also it is better to run the Seatools diagnostics from the CD and not the windows version.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
from what i'm reading its sounds like 1 the drive is dead or 2 the usb cable your using has a defect or both
the cable being bad might be the reason when you plug it in a couple times the one time it works the other time it doesn't, and why it shows up in seatools and then it doesnt
"Maybe the tests failed because the drive was no longer recognized again" that could be the cable too...

is there no way you can plug in the hdd on your desktop
for example replacing the master drive for this one so we can test it on a different connection?
that way we know for sure that its the drive or the cable (from were i'm sitting it sound like the cable and that should be fixed by replacing the old cable with a new one.
if you have a cable that you can use on it replace the cable that you are using now with the other one and retry

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE COMPUTER IS TURNED OFF AND THE POWER SUPPLY IS UNPLUGGED BEFORE OPENING YOUR PC

before doing this (if you even want/are able to do this) make sure you download the UBCD from the second link in my first post and you have made a Bootable CD from that file

if you need assistance or guidance opening your pc up let me know!!!!

if your not sure about it don't do it!!!!
and don't unplug anything else just the HDD and the power to the HDD

ceradecke

ceradecke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
hmmmm this makes sense to me. i have a very tech-savvy buddy who might be able to help me out with this part. let me see if I can get some assistance with him. I will let you know the outcome as soon as I give it a try. Thanks so much,

Chris

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

hmmmm this makes sense to me. i have a very tech-savvy buddy who might be able to help me out with this part. let me see if I can get some assistance with him. I will let you know the outcome as soon as I give it a try. Thanks so much,

Chris

Let me know if you need some more assistance! :D