Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High pitched wine coming from tower

• Please log in to reply

jimfdowning

jimfdowning

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hi all

Yesterday I noticed a high pitched whine almost supersonic lol, coming from my PC tower.

it's drinving me crazy :D

Had a listen round the back it seems to be coming from the PSU but not 100% sure

Read a few forum posts that suggest all sorts of scarey things, failing mobo etc which is only a couple of weeks old

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Is your computer a retail system?

If yes, is it still under warranty? If yes, send or take it back.

If the above is not applicable.

The instructions are in case you are not familiar with hardware.

With the front of the computer facing you, take of the left side panel. DO NOT TOUCH THE INSIDE.

Listen and see if you can pinpoint the source of the whine and post back.

Edited by iammykyl, 29 October 2010 - 04:24 AM.

jimfdowning

jimfdowning

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hi

The PC is a custom built

Took side off and listened as instructed

I would say it's coming from the PSU

Thanks for the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi jimfdowning
What make and model psu do you have and how old is it?
I recommend you remove the psu from the computer and do a basic test simply to identify if the sound is coming from the psu, possibly the fan bearings or the blades catching, I would do this a.s.a.p to prevent a bad psu blowing the whole system, MB, CPU, Ram and add on cards etc.
Once the psu is removed you can switch it on by using the pin out diagram at the link I have attached below;
http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html this will give you a chance to listen more closely.
I notice iammykyl has offered some advice so you may choose to follow that 1st especially if you have a rear case fan which could also suffer failed bearings etc as could the CPU fan, remember to remove the power cord from the wall 1st and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, make a note where each connection from the psu goes, take a digital photograph if you can.

jimfdowning

jimfdowning

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hi

Removed PSU and did had a test run on it. Found to be faulty and was replaced under warranty

Thanks

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Glad you problem is resolved.

Thank you for letting us know the results.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi jimfdowning
Thank you for letting us know the issue is now resolved and for posting the solution so that others may learn.
I am pleased to hear the psu was covered by a warranty and happy you caught it before it did any harm :D ;)