Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Install Office 2007 on PC with Office 2003

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
My computer has Office 2003 installed on it. I want to install Office 2007 and get rid of Office 2003.

• Should I first uninstall Office 2003 and then install Office 2007?
  • What happens to all my Outlook settings, folders, sent and deleted emails, etc.? Does all of that get deleted during the uninstall, or do I have to transfer everything?
  • I assume that after Office 2007 is installed, I need to go to Microsoft update and download and install all relevant updates for this software suite. Correct?
Basically, I would like to know the correct process to follow so that I have only Office 2007 installed, and all my email information is not lost.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts

My computer has Office 2003 installed on it. I want to install Office 2007 and get rid of Office 2003.

• Should I first uninstall Office 2003 and then install Office 2007?
  • What happens to all my Outlook settings, folders, sent and deleted emails, etc.? Does all of that get deleted during the uninstall, or do I have to transfer everything?
  • I assume that after Office 2007 is installed, I need to go to Microsoft update and download and install all relevant updates for this software suite. Correct?
Basically, I would like to know the correct process to follow so that I have only Office 2007 installed, and all my email information is not lost.

Thank you.

If you are using POP mail, and not connecting to an exchange server then all of your outlook information is in your .PST file. I believe the correct way to retain that is to copy the file somewhere safe, then uninstall 2003. After you install 2007, I believe you should then import everything from that .PST file. I was told by techs wiser than myself that importing is the best way to avoid corruption of outlook data.
I know there is a way from within outlook to find the location of your .PST file, but I am at work right now and can't try out that method as we use an exchange server, no .PST. I will look when I get home, if someone else does not provide that info for you.

I also believe that your ISP settings are not saved in the .PST file, so you will have to enter that info, make sure you have your pop server info, and your user id and password before you uninstall 2003.

I think it would be wise to get all the available updates for 2007 as soon as possible.

This link, which I just found buried in my work favorites has a lot of good information about .PST files...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

I have not yet gone from 2003 to 2007, so I don't know of any other "gotchas", but as long as you keep a copy of that .PST file safe, you can always fall back to the old version if you get into trouble.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Thanks Crowbar6761,

You have provided useful information that I will followup on. If you do happen to have any more info, please provide it. Thanks again.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts
My outlook is XP version, but I think its the same way to find your .pst file.
Tools > Options > Mail Setup tab > Data Files button . there is a button in there to open the folder. Be nice to that file, make a backup right away.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Crowbar6761: I followed your instructions and those from the link that you provided. Everything worked without a hitch. I have now entered the "almost" modern age of Office 2007 (compared to what I had before).

Thanks again.

Edited by Jackpine, 30 October 2010 - 03:12 PM.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts
Excellent! Glad I could help