Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cheap wireless help

• Please log in to reply

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hey there.
I want to buy a wireless router as I am currently just using a wired modem and hope to buy a laptop shortly.

I have AOL and am using the BT Voyager 190 ADSL modem which I bought myself as an upgrade when I got Windows 7. The old USB modems dont work of course.

I am looking for a router which will work with my DSL line?

I am not too good or hot with networking and thought you guys could assist me.

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any router will work with your connection if you plan on keeping your modem. you would want to consult your ISP's support page to confirm the neccessary settings as many DSL connections require you to change some settings on your modem and router to make things work.

alternately you could get a DSL modem/router (router with a modem built in) or a DSL modem with a wireless component (which, to be honest is basically the same thing, though they're often packaged differently)

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
As long as I can do it, I dont mind getting a router/modem combined.

What would you recommned? I dont have a massive house or area.