Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphic card problem

• Please log in to reply

jamesdavies16

jamesdavies16

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, Iv joined this site in the hope that some wise person may be able to enlighten me...

After re-installing windows XP on my machine, I have got my pc set up again and running like new, except for the graphics card.

My machine is a custom build (not by me) and this is the spec.
- AMD Sempron 2300+ processor
- ASUS A7V880 motherboard
- 512MB RAM
- Nvidia GeForce4 MX4000 64MB DDR Graphics card
- Windows XP SP2
- HP x2207h monitor

Prior to my re-installation of windows I use to run programs like world of warcraft, flight sim 2004 and windows media player perfectly fine. A little slow obviously due to the under powered pc, but never the less, fine.

Now here is my problem...

Since the reinstall, I have updated everything and installed the driver for the graphics card that came with it on the disc. However, although the gfx card is recognised by windows etc, and I can run any resolution I want, when I try to play music on media player, the visualisation seems to crash it. Initially the monitor goes black, then goes to sleep before the computer restarts. I get this same problem when trying to run the dxdiag tests, play WoW, fullscreen video etc.

I have tried numerous drivers for my gfx card, but no success. This is driving me crazy, I could obviously do without shelling out too much money (being a student), and dont see why I should need to, as it used to work perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed any light on this matter

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hi jamesdavies16 :D sorry to hear you are having this issue.
Support for XP sp2 ended on the 13th of July 2010 meaning you will no longer get security or driver updates etc.
First thing I would recommend is installing XP sp3 and hopefully there will be an update that resolves the issue.
If not let us know and we can look at other possibilities, meanwhile I will look for updated gfx card drivers etc,
never mind you can get the latest from here should you need them http://xpdrivers.com...CFQHS4wodpg00gg
Just remember it is an old gfx card and Nvidea may not still support it but XP might, good luck and let us know how it goes.

jamesdavies16

jamesdavies16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I'l be sure to try that website later, might be worth adding though that when I have tried installing some updates, including SP3, for some reason they fail on install

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

I have tried installing some updates, including SP3, for some reason they fail on install

This happens sometimes, when it does, identify the update you want to install and go to the Windows download centre and download and install the update manually, good luck with the driver update and let us know how it goes.