Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC went from reading 8gb ram to 2gb ram?

• Please log in to reply

daniel760

daniel760

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Geeks To Go Community ;)
We'll my problem is that my computer has 8gb of ram installed and about a week ago it now only reads 2gb. I've done multiple diagnostics and the ram is there. It is just not being used. Here's what I mean.

Proof it knows the ram is there:

Posted Image
Posted Image

But in task manager, it displays only 2gb of ram are being used.

Posted Image

Anyone know why this happened? Or how I can make my system use the 8gb installed ram and not only 2gb? ;):D

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,028 posts
Hi daniel760 :D
First off forgive me if I have misinterpreted your question!

We'll my problem is that my computer has 8gb of ram installed and about a week ago it now only reads 2gb. I've done multiple diagnostics and the ram is there. It is just not being used. Here's what I mean.

The more programmes you have open the more Ram will be used, as you say it is there but it is not being utilised as there is nothing for it to store, simple test open as many applications as you can and then see how much is being used, the article at this link http://www.ehow.com/...1_ram-work.html explains it better than I can.
Hope this info is what you were looking for and let us know if it was or not.