Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows OS does not startup when hard drive is connected to SATA 3 or

• Please log in to reply

jaadu1979

jaadu1979

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Everyone:

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am not a computer superhero, and that is why I am here, cause I know you guys are.

The problem I have is that I am trying to connect a SATA hard drive to SATA 3 or SATA 4, however, my computer freezes every time during Windows startup. BIOS shows the name of the internal or external hard drive during startup, but freezes on that screen EVERY TIME.

Listed below is some information regarding my custom made PC.

General Information:
1. Motherboard - Soyo SY-P4I875P DRAGON 2 Intel 875P (YES!!!, this M/B is from 2003/2004, and is claimed to be the last DRAGON alive......or so I assume)
2. Processor - Pentium4 3.00 GHz
3. O/S - Windows XP & 7 (I get the same problem with both OS)
4. RAM - 2.0 GB
5. Hard drives (internal) - Two 320GB SATA Seagate Barracuda (connected in SATA 1 and SATA 2 ports) - both are recognized by M/B
6. Hard drive (external) - One 1TB SATA Seagate Barracuda - am trying to connect this to SATA 3 or 4 via eSATA cable. This hard drive is recognized when attached to SATA 1 or SATA 2.
7. Power Supply - 500 W Ultra power supply

Technical Information from M/B manual:
1. Chipset - Intel 875P/ICH5R
2. Storage - ICH5R integrated Serial ATA controller supporting up to 2x UDMA 150 hard disks in normal or RAID 0 mode
- Silicon Image Sil3112 Serial ATA RAID controller supporting up to 2x UDMA 150 hard disks in normal or RAID (0 or 1) mode.
- ICH5R Integrated Parallel ATA controller supporting up to 4x UDMA 33/66/100 Parallel ATA devices.
- HighPoint 372N PCI to IDE RAID controller for support for up to 4x UDMA 33/66/100/133 parallel ATA hard disks in normal or RAID (0, 1, 1.5 or 0+1 mode.
3. SATA Connectors - These connectors allow you to attach one UDMA 150 hard disk to each connector. Note that SATA 3 and 4 are controlled by the Silicon Image Sil3112 chip, and can support RAID 0 and 1. For more information on these connectors check the IDE Device Installation (HDD, CD-ROM) paragraph on page 22.
4. Silicon Image Sil3112 Serial ATA RAID chip - The SiI 3112 enables OEMs to support new Serial ATA devices for the highest data transfer rates (1.5 Gbps burst), simpler disk drive cabling and easier PC assembly. Featuring a 32-bit 33/66 MHz PCI interface, the SiI 3112 supports two independent Serial ATA devices, capable of working as a normal IDE or in a RAID 0 or RAID 1 configuration.
5. IDE1,2 are controlled by the 82801ER (ICH5R), IDE3,4 are controlled by the HighPoint 372N, SATA1,2 are controlled by the 82801ER (ICH5R) and SATA3,4 are controlled by the Silicon Image Sil3112 controller. There are 8 parallel ATA HDD connectors (IDE1, IDE2, IDE3, IDE4) and 4 serial ATA connectors on the motherboard. IDE3 and IDE4 are provided for IDE RAID or standard IDE function. SATA1, SATA2, SATA 3 and SATA4 are provided for SATA RAID or standard SATA function. This Motherboard can support up to 12 HDDs.

I have installed the following RAID drivers:
1. Silicon Image 3112 SATA Raid 1.0.62.0
2. HighPoint HPT3xx - v2.351

With all that being said, I am not sure if it is a driver issue. And so, I am willing to provide any additional information necessary (except my credit card #) in hopes of getting SATA 3 and 4 to work (woo hoo!!!)

I can send you the latest.....or the only user manual for my Soyo motherboard, if you can provide me your e-mail address. Unfortunately, I could not attach the manual to this post, as the motherboard manual is 4 MB.

I am sure I'm missing something very simple, but at this point, even the obvious does not seem to be so.

So if you have some special powers, and are willing to help a guy who keeps losing to his SATA 3 and 4 ports, then you are the person I am looking for.

Thanks and please feel free to ask any questions or post any suggestions. Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

Edited by jaadu1979, 29 October 2010 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hi jaadu1979 ;)
my compliments for a very precise and detailed OP :D
Couple of questions 1: how are you connecting the esata to the pc, are you using host adapters such as this
http://en.wikipedia....e:QLA_2200F.jpg ? 2: which drive has your OS on it and is it set in the BIOS as the first boot device?

jaadu1979

jaadu1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi phillpower2:

Thanks for getting in touch with me and the compliments for the detailed OP.

To answer your questions....

1. I am connecting my eSATA to the PC with an eSATA bracket. This bracket is different from the picture you sent, as it does not have to get attached to a PCI slot on the motherboard, but just needs an open PCI slot in the case so I can attach the screw. This eSATA bracket has a wire and I connect that to an open SATA port on my motherboard. The eSATA works with no problem in SATA 1 and 2 ports, and I have Windows XP installed on my eSATA hard drive. Also, this eSATA bracket came with my external hard drive shell.

http://www.vantecusa...view_detail/172

Also, the USB port works fine as well, but transferring gigs and gigs of data through USB takes quite some time. Besides, I have an eSATA capability, so why not take advantage of that......if I can.

2. I have my OS installed on my internal 320GB SATA hard drive, and yes, I have that set as my first Boot device. I do not have any PATA (IDE) hard drives in my computer, just IDE CD or DVD drives.

My M/B manual does have more information in regarding SATA, but I do not understand all if it. I need a translator. If you would like to take a look at the manual, I can send you the PDF.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Obvious question but I`ve got to ask are sata ports 3 and 4 enabled in the BIOS and do you have the auto detect on?
Could you send me the pdf document for your manual and the make and model of the esata bracket you are using.

jaadu1979

jaadu1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi phillpower2:

I have Enabled SATA 3 and 4, but I'm not sure if my M/B has an auto detect for SATA 3 and 4. I know when I attach a hard drive to SATA 1 and 2, the M/B detects them, but not sure what the case is for SATA 3 and 4.

Also, I can surely e-mail you the manual for my M/B, but I'm not sure what your e-mail ID is. Can you e-mail me is possible and I will reply? Sorry, I couldn't identify your e-mail ID.

Also, as for the make and model of my eSATA bracket, I will get back to you on that......tomorrow for sure.

Well, if you can e-mail me, I will send you the material. And as always, thanks for taking the time to assist me..........

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Read through the MB manual + gone over the photos etc but I will have to leave it until
tomorrow to go through it with you due to work commitments.

jaadu1979

jaadu1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No worries. Take your time. Whenever it is good for you, is good for me as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Just got a little checklist to go through, have you done the following;
Set Sata 1 and 2 using lCH5R and set 3 and 4 using Sil3112 controller, I noticed you have installed the drivers for them have you checked the driver status in the device manager, any yellow exclamation marks by them.
Have you tried connecting the internal HDD with XP on it to Sata Port 1, the external esata HDD to Sata Port 2 and the internal HDD with W7 on it to Sata port 3.
I also noticed in one of your BIOS photographs that you had the Boot order set as 1st IDE1/Sata1 and 2nd the same again IDE1/sata1, I am not sure if this could cause a conflict.
This excerpt from page 23 of your manual also has me thinking you should connect the external esata to Sata Port2 because it does not have an OS on it;

Note: IDE2 and SATA2 are not bootable, SATA1, SATA3, SATA4 and
IDE1, IDE3 and IDE4 are bootable.

Check the above out and let us know how it goes.

jaadu1979

jaadu1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for getting back to me. Before I respond to your most recent post, I owe you an answer regarding the make and model of the eSATA bracket. Well, I checked it earlier today, and it does not have any information on it. It does not even state the manufacturer. I believe it is a generic bracket.

jaadu1979

jaadu1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Now.....to answer your questions/suggestions......

To begin, I didn't assign which SATA port should use which controller and I'm not sure if I can do that.....I guess the PC assigns the controllers to their respective data ports?? However, I did check the driver status in the device manager when I initially installed Windows, and that is where I saw the yellow exclamations for the RAID Controllers. And so, I manually assigned the drivers HighPoint HPT3xx 2.351 and Silicon Image 3112 SATA Raid 1.0.65.1 at that point.

Also, I only have Windows XP on my external hard drive and that is the one I am trying to use in SATA 3 or 4. I have Windows 7 on both my internal hard drives. With that being said, I can combine any combination of those 3 hard drives to SATA 1 and 2, and the PC will boot correctly. I have not connected the internal hard drives to SATA 3 or 4, but I can try that.

Also, I can boot my PC with the external hard drive being the primary hard drive (SATA 1 port), and have transferred data to both internal hard drives, as they both took turns using the SATA 2 port.

As for my BIOS settings regarding the Boot Order, I can change the 1st and/or 2nd boot order. I'm not sure if the boot order will make a difference for SATA 3 or 4, but I will tell you what I reassign Boot Order 1 and 2 to.

Ideally, I would like to have my external eSATA hard drive in SATA 3 or 4, only because I will be using it once in a while. The purpose of my eSATA hard drive is to backup the data on both my internal hard drives, or copy data to the internals if I had to reformat the internal hard drives. I usually keep the external hard drive in the closet. Also, if the external hard drive can work through SATA 3, then I do not have to remove the SATA data wires when connecting the external hard drive and just attach the external wires when necessary, and change the BIOS Settings to Boot from SATA 3 (external hard drive).

Well, I hope my answers above have given you some more insight, but please, continue to make any suggestions you would like.

Thanks as always.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Thanks for getting back to me. Before I respond to your most recent post, I owe you an answer regarding the make and model of the eSATA bracket. Well, I checked it earlier today, and it does not have any information on it. It does not even state the manufacturer. I believe it is a generic bracket.

Ok thanks for that I just wanted to be sure I knew how you were attempting to get set up.
Can I ask why you have W7 on the 2 internal HDDs, also are you aware of this;

Windows Operating Systems Do Not Support Booting From External Hard Disk
Microsoft Win XP or Vista does not at present support booting from external hard disk.
This means that the user cannot install the OS Software into the External hard disk in a straight forward manner. For booting, a Master Boot Record (MBR) is needed. This must be available on the disk drive, and this includes external disk drives.

One suggestion I could make if none of the other things you are attempting work out is try disabling "Boot Up Floppy Seek" the reason being is that connecting an external boot source can change your boot sequence, apparently it can cause the boot order to skip, and as you can see from the info above it will not work.

This facility is not offered by Microsoft, for the simple reason that it has the potential to encourage piracy

Read more at Suite101: Can You Boot From External Hard Disk Drive: Running Windows From a Portable Hard Drive http://www.suite101....7#ixzz14GGSGoLx

jaadu1979

jaadu1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hmm....where do I start?? What do I say??

I am now absolutely confused.

So yesterday after I told you that I will plug my internal hard drives to SATA 3 & 4 (which I have never done in the past), well, I did do that. And??? IT WORKED!!!!

Okay, no celebration.

And so, I tried a few random combinations of external hard + 2 internal hard drives and the 4 SATA ports. The best one that worked was when I installed one internal to SATA 3, external to SATA 1 and internal to SATA 2. In this set up, the SATA 3 booted and the external was picked up as secondary hard drive, but......SATA 2 did not boot. I checked all the wires, but have no idea why SATA 2 did not participate.

However.....now the confusing part.

So after that, I tried to install the external to SATA 3 and some other random configurations to see which hard drive can work in which SATA port.

Now? For some odd reason, my M/B does not recognize my internal hard drives at all. Not picked up, no Windows, absolutely nothing.

However, strangely, my M/B seems to ONLY recognize my external hard drive. In fact....as you read in the M/B manual, SATA 2 is NOT bootable, but as I type this (I am using my laptop), Windows XP is staring at me, while the external hard drive is attached to SATA 2. The M/B recognizes the external hard drive when attached to SATA 3 and 4 but will not boot either time, it just freezes at that same screen that you have seen, both times.

So now what do I have, alot of confusion. The internal hard drives will not get recognized, and the external hard drive seems to be doing all the work. I have reset Jumper 5 (main jumper) several times, but nothing is changing in the M/B settings.

I will try a few more times some different configurations and will get back to you......either in a few mins or tomorrow for sure.

I guess I should start praying.....

jaadu1979

jaadu1979

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I just wanted to inform you that I finally got my PC back up and running. The reason my internal hard drives were not being recognized were because of the power wires. For some reason, the SATA power cable were not getting the electric current. I attached and reattached them a few times, and finally got them to work.

And so, after that problem was over, I attached one internal hard drive to SATA 3 and moved the backup to SATA 1 (both are 320 GB Seagate Barracuda), and I booted from SATA 3 port. And that worked.

And then after doing that, I attached my external hard drive (1 TB) to SATA 2, and now all 3 hard drives are recognized, while booting from SATA 3. I guess the external hard drive could not boot from SATA 3 due to size, while SATA 1 and 2 were no issue.

And so, I finally got the setting I was looking for and I would like to thank you for all your help.

Obviously, I'm not a computer whiz, but I knew that by continuing to try different methods, something will work.

Thank you again for all your help, as I have been trying to solve this mystery for a long time.

I greatly appreciate your help and your patience.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Congratulations on resolving the issue and thank you for allowing me to assist you, for choosing GTG and for also sharing the solution so others may learn :D
I am happy you got it sorted and heres to hoping you have no more troubles in the future ;)