Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Underclocking RAM to make it compatible!

• Please log in to reply

6y7t8h

6y7t8h

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi! I just joined the forums to ask for a solution to my problem. Basically, I've bought (by accident) DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM where my motherboard only supports PC2-5300 or lower..This means that my BIOS or system isn't recognizing the new ram, apart from CpuZ. I was hoping to underclock the 6400 RAM via a software called Memset to compatiblize the RAM but my system isn't compatible with the software. This is my computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00762565&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&product=3258852

My BIOS is being extremely difficult as well. Even if I do get the BIOS to recognise my RAM so I can underclock it, the option is greyed out :D

Also I am in no position to buy new ram/exchange my old ram, thank you in advance!

Additional info:

RAM my mobo is meant to run: DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

RAM I bought: DDR2 PC2-6400 DDR2-800 1.8V

Is there anyway I can underclock the ram timings etc with the one I bought to make it compatible with my system?

Edited by 6y7t8h, 30 October 2010 - 01:14 AM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
To my knowledge, a motherboard will automatically throttle RAM to meet its specs. In your BIOS what is the listed RAM speed?
Are there any problems booting to your OS? Any programs that will not run?

6y7t8h

6y7t8h

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

To my knowledge, a motherboard will automatically throttle RAM to meet its specs. In your BIOS what is the listed RAM speed?
Are there any problems booting to your OS? Any programs that will not run?

yes, ram is meant to downgrade/upgrade to make it compatible but it doesn't seem to work in my case..my bios doesn't detect the new RAM stick at all, but all is well, when I boot with both sticks, it's fine but my system doesn't recognise the new ram. Also when I boot with just the new ram, I get a black screen with no video output but no beeping..

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Your ECS RC410-M motherboard will only work with up to 2GB (2x1GB) of PC2-4200 MB/sec RAM.

6y7t8h

6y7t8h

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes I was aware of that and do you/anyone know if I can underclock the speeds to match the timings of my old compatible ram to make the new one compatible?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I suppose it may be possible if you have gadzillions of dollars to invest in assembling a team of experts and equipment to alter your motherboard and/or BIOS so you could use your incompatible PC2-6400 RAM.

It'd be one whole heck of a lot cheaper to simply use PC2-4200 RAM though.

6y7t8h

6y7t8h

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Please read my replies carefully, I asked if I could change the ram timings to match the compatibility settings of my motherboard so I could use the ram stick, not change the bios/motherboard etc.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Let's make sure we are on the same page. You have one stick of old compatible RAM (1GB), and you just bought another stick of new faster RAM (1GB). Is this correct?
SpywareDr is correct in saying that your mobo will only take 2GB at the most. Can you give me the specs of your 2 sticks of RAM?
The problem is that Windows only sees the 1GB RAM module, and ignores the new module. Is this correct?

Does your BIOS allow you to change the CAS timings on your RAM? If so, you could try to match them. I do not know of any realiable software that can over/underclock RAM. I always suggest using the BIOS.
If your BIOS doesn't allow you to change the timings, you could give it a shot on MemSet, although I do not know if that will alleviate the problem.

6y7t8h

6y7t8h

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Let's make sure we are on the same page. You have one stick of old compatible RAM (1GB), and you just bought another stick of new faster RAM (1GB). Is this correct?
SpywareDr is correct in saying that your mobo will only take 2GB at the most. Can you give me the specs of your 2 sticks of RAM?
The problem is that Windows only sees the 1GB RAM module, and ignores the new module. Is this correct?

Does your BIOS allow you to change the CAS timings on your RAM? If so, you could try to match them. I do not know of any realiable software that can over/underclock RAM. I always suggest using the BIOS.
If your BIOS doesn't allow you to change the timings, you could give it a shot on MemSet, although I do not know if that will alleviate the problem.

That is all correct but my BIOS isn't detecting the new ram as well and the RAM option is greyed out anyway..I did try memset but it doesn't support me system..

I've attached the printscreens from cpuz for the ram specs..thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• old.JPG
  • new.JPG

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Ok, so CPU-Z is seeing both sticks of RAM for what they are.
As a rule of thumb, I would avoid using RAM sticks from different manufacturers as it can sometimes cause problems with mobos.

If CPU-Z can see it, but your BIOS cannot, I do not know what to infer.
Go to control panel -> System properties
And see how much RAM shows up... according to what you have said it should only show 1GB.

If only 1GB shows up, then go here: http://www.xubuntu.org/getubuntu
Download an xubuntu iso file, and burn it to a disc with a iso burning program like BurnCDCC.
Then boot up with the disc in your drive, and boot into the xubuntu desktop.
Access the terminal, through Applications -> Accessories -> terminal
Type in: top
The amount of RAM available will be shown. If you want a nicer interface, type in: sudo apt-get install htop
Then type in: htop
Post back with how much RAM xubuntu recognizes.

6y7t8h

6y7t8h

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Ok, so CPU-Z is seeing both sticks of RAM for what they are.
As a rule of thumb, I would avoid using RAM sticks from different manufacturers as it can sometimes cause problems with mobos.

If CPU-Z can see it, but your BIOS cannot, I do not know what to infer.
Go to control panel -> System properties
And see how much RAM shows up... according to what you have said it should only show 1GB.

If only 1GB shows up, then go here: http://www.xubuntu.org/getubuntu
Download an xubuntu iso file, and burn it to a disc with a iso burning program like BurnCDCC.
Then boot up with the disc in your drive, and boot into the xubuntu desktop.
Access the terminal, through Applications -> Accessories -> terminal
Type in: top
The amount of RAM available will be shown. If you want a nicer interface, type in: sudo apt-get install htop
Then type in: htop
Post back with how much RAM xubuntu recognizes.

Thank you for the useful help, I'll get the results ASAP.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
just for future reference, I do not know if this will solve your problem but thought it might come in handy anyway.
There is a program called ntune by nvidia Here

It is designed for overclocking but it also allows you to alter RAM frequencies so it may let you lower them, It allows you to alter greyed out options in BIOS.

Be-careful what you change though as it can cause system instability!

Hope this helps,

Spud

6y7t8h

6y7t8h

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

just for future reference, I do not know if this will solve your problem but thought it might come in handy anyway.

It is designed for overclocking but it also allows you to alter RAM frequencies so it may let you lower them, It allows you to alter greyed out options in BIOS.

Hope this helps,

Spud

wow thanks man, does it work if I don't have an nvidia product?

edit: Oh I need an nvidia motherboard to install this so it doesn't work, thanks anyway. Does anyone else know of a 3rd party program which allows to alter ram freqs.? I've tried Memset and that nvidia thing and both have failed to install :D

Edited by 6y7t8h, 01 November 2010 - 10:39 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thanks Spud, for suggesting ntune. Do you know of any other software that can set RAM timings or frequencies, because I'm not so sure.:D
You could try ClockGen: http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=189 But I don´t know if it will work.
Try running xubuntu and post back the results.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Hope this helps,

Spud

wow thanks man, does it work if I don't have an nvidia product?

edit: Oh I need an nvidia motherboard to install this so it doesn't work, thanks anyway. Does anyone else know of a 3rd party program which allows to alter ram freqs.? I've tried Memset and that nvidia thing and both have failed to install ;)

Sorry about that, i did not realise you needed an nvidia motherboard.. as far as i know i don't even have one! ;) :D