Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Newbie Upgrading Notebook & OS

• Please log in to reply

cerigby

cerigby

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there,

Newbie trying to upgrade Notebook. I currently have some questions which I'm sure will be quite simple for a guru out there to answer, any help much appreciated. I have a HP Notebook (Pavilion dv6528tx - to be exact) and I just successfully installed new RAM, ran my PC and it worked perfectly. I currently have Windows Vista and have bought Windows 7 and want to custom install as Im installing a new HDD. After installing the new HDD and trying to install Windows7, it cannot find my HDD to install. I have researched this and I need Motherboard Drivers?, however I assume I will need drivers for everything, sound, graphics etc, would this be right? I have found a website where I can buy a supposed CD/Download for my exact Notebook which contains ALL drivers I will need.

http://www.recovery-...-CD-306180.html

The HP website doesn't have drivers for Windows 7 for my Notebook, only Vista Drivers. I have searched the web for ages and it seems like the best option to get all drivers. Is this what I need to do - get all drivers and install on new HDD before I can install Win7?

(Ram, HDD, Win7 64-bit have all been thoroughly researched and are compatible with my PC).
Any help much appreciated.

Cel

Edited by cerigby, 30 October 2010 - 03:47 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
In order to successfully run Windows 7 on your HP Pavilion DV6528tx, you need HP Pavilion DV6528tx drivers written by HP and created specifically to run on your version of Windows 7.

cerigby

cerigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

In order to successfully run Windows 7 on your HP Pavilion DV6528tx, you need HP Pavilion DV6528tx drivers written by HP and created specifically to run on your version of Windows 7.

So would that link I posted be accurate in what I am needing? Or should I sell my Win7 version (its new) and go through HP support and order a new one?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

So would that link I posted be accurate in what I am needing?

No.

cerigby

cerigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Could you be more specific please? Do I need to get recovery disks for my PC? Then it would have the drivers etc on it. Install the new HDD, load the recovery disks (VISTA) on, then just upgrade to Win 7? Is that the easiest?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Yes, that would be the easiest. (Assuming your computer meets the minimum requirements for running Windows 7).

cerigby

cerigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes my PC is Win7 compatiable I ran the neccessary programs to check. The hard drive will obviously be different than that on the recovery discs I get, would that make a difference? Like the Motherboard and Hard Drive drivers wouldn't match my new HDD?

Also I want to run Win7 64-bit and I currently have Vista 32-bit so I can't upgrade, I need (and want) to do a custom install. If I put the Vista 32-bit on my new HDD and I want to go up to 64-bit by custom install, do I still need to backup my drivers? Or when I do a custom install will it recognise my drivers and save them? Pretty much I'm needing to install a new HDD, and install Win7 64-bit.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
In order to successfully run the 64-bit version of Windows 7 on your computer, you need 64-bit drivers for all of the various hardware components in your computer. If neither HP nor Microsoft have written the needed 64-bit drivers, then the 64-bit version of Windows 7 will not work successfully on your computer.

In order to successfully run the 32-bit version of Windows 7 on your computer, you need 32-bit drivers for all of the various hardware components in your computer. If neither HP nor Microsoft have written the needed 32-bit drivers, then the 32-bit version of Windows 7 will not work successfully on your computer.

In order to successfully run any version of Windows on any computer, you need the drivers for all of the various hardware components in the computer. If no one has written the drivers necessary for that version of Windows, then that version of Windows will not work on that computer.

cerigby

cerigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hmm... sounds all a little hard lol, maybe I'll stay with Vista....How do I at least put my new HDD in? If I had recovery discs and put my new HDD in, could I do a restore on the new HDD? It doesn't have to be the same HDD does it?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

How do I at least put my new HDD in?

Slide the old one out, and then the new one in.

If I had recovery discs and put my new HDD in, could I do a restore on the new HDD?

Yep.

It doesn't have to be the same HDD does it?

Nope.

(Just replaced a 60GB with a 250GB in a laptop yesterday, and a 120GB with a 500GB in a desktop Saturday).

cerigby

cerigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ah I see, so I should get the OEM recovery discs, puy my new HDD in and load the OEM Vista. Then if I wanted I could "upgrade" to Win7? Though it would only be 32-bit if I upgraded, I'd prefer the 64-bit doing a complete install, I'd imagine I'd need the drivers, however HP don't have any of my drivers for Win7? How would that work I wonder? If I custom install or simply upgraded - there's no drivers for download of update on HP website for Win7 for my PC? Hmm... I think I might just stick with Vista. Unless Win7 runs better?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Ah I see, so I should get the OEM recovery discs, puy my new HDD in and load the OEM Vista.

Yes.

Then if I wanted I could "upgrade" to Win7? Though it would only be 32-bit if I upgraded,

In order to successfully run the 32-bit version of Windows 7 on your computer, you need 32-bit drivers for all of the various hardware components in your computer. If neither HP nor Microsoft have written the needed 32-bit drivers, then the 32-bit version of Windows 7 will not work successfully on your computer.

I'd prefer the 64-bit doing a complete install, I'd imagine I'd need the drivers, however HP don't have any of my drivers for Win7? How would that work I wonder?

It doesn't much matter what you 'prefer', it simply won't work. To successfully run the 64-bit version of Windows 7 on your computer, you need 64-bit drivers for all of the various hardware components in your computer. If neither HP nor Microsoft have written the needed 64-bit drivers, then the 64-bit version of Windows 7 will not work successfully on your computer.

If I custom install or simply upgraded - there's no drivers for download of update on HP website for Win7 for my PC?

Correct. The latest drivers available for your machine on HP's website is for Windows Vista.

Hmm... I think I might just stick with Vista. Unless Win7 runs better?

Without Windows 7 drivers, you're stuck with Vista.

cerigby

cerigby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK. Thanks so much for your help - much appreciated!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
You're welcome.