Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

various errors (see below)

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK before we go into this to far I need to see the partitions on the existing drive. Please do the following:

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Advertisements

trv7290

trv7290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
disk management screen attached.

BTW, I took the CD out of the E drive, not sure why it still shows up? Probably not important at this point, just thought you should be aware of it.

Disc 1, I assume is the Western Digital HD. which was installed a time ago, but not formatted or set up etc.

Thanks.

Edited by trv7290, 07 November 2010 - 05:12 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I now have the newer reinstallation CD of the operating system Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. Certain that it has no drivers or anything for the computer components (IE. mother board, CD-R drive, DVD drive).

MOBO and onboard peripherals is all we have to work on.
What is the make and model of the system again and i will check for XP drivers for it.

Not sure, but when we installed the XP SP2 I think it made a partition on the hard drive. So I am thinking that there could be items on the system 'left over' from ME -- is that possible?

The recovery partition is most likely ME so not sure you need that anyway since you stated you have a new installation cd for XP with SP3 on it.
The only files you would have to worry about then is your actual data..
  • Music
  • Movies
  • Videos
  • Office saved files

Do you want to start fresh with a new install and that way you know the OS is right? Is the installation cd you have a genuine Microsoft installation cd or is it a copied or downloaded version?

trv7290

trv7290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I now have the newer reinstallation CD of the operating system Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. Certain that it has no drivers or anything for the computer components (IE. mother board, CD-R drive, DVD drive).

What is the make and model of the system again and i will check for XP drivers for it.

MAKE AND MODEL - COMPAQ PRESARIO 5BW284 - (the 5000 series)

Not sure, but when we installed the XP SP2 I think it made a partition on the hard drive. So I am thinking that there could be items on the system 'left over' from ME -- is that possible?

The recovery partition is most likely ME so not sure you need that anyway since you stated you have a new installation cd for XP with SP3 on it.
  • Music
  • Movies
  • Videos
  • Office saved files

I agree about the 'actual data.'

At present time, the system was updated to XP Pro with SP2, so you are most likely correct that those are ME files - not sure how Windows uses them for the system (ie drivers, etc.)

Do you want to start fresh with a new install and that way you know the OS is right? Is the installation cd you have a genuine Microsoft installation cd or is it a copied or downloaded version?

Certainly, lets start fresh, this way we know it will be correct. The XP SP3 CD is a genuine reinstallation CD - Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3.

Thanks for the assistance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then what I would suggest is to disconnect the old drive and put the new drive in it's place.
Then follow the instructions below to do a fresh install on the new drive. Once that is done then we will work on getting your data moved over.
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

http://lifehacker.co...atch-157578.php

trv7290

trv7290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the information rshaffer61.

How would I know if I should use or create a partition?

Now if you want to move data that is easy after you get your OS reloaded on the new drive.

That would be great! Is there a way to have both hard drives connected to the system (the old and new) so I will be able to transfer items and to use the computer to be online while working on it?

Thank you again.

Edited by trv7290, 08 November 2010 - 06:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

How would I know if I should use or create a partition?

The article talks you through how to setup the partitions and then format before installation.

Is there a way to have both hard drives connected to the system (the old and new) so I will be able to transfer items and to use the computer to be online while working on it?

Yes and we will do that once you have the installation completed.

Drivers for XP located HERE

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Just leave the 2nd drive disconnected till you have the OS installed and drivers installed and up and running before adding the 2nd drive.

This is a precaution to make sure that during install the "wrong" drive is not formatted.

trv7290

trv7290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello rshaffer61 and 123runner,

Working my may through those posted directions you linked above. I know I am switching out the old hard drive, but do you have a back-up software program to recommend? (according to the directions) as a precaution. I know as you mentioned in the earlier post, you will work with me to move the items over to the new hard drive once the operating system is installed. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once everything is ready the data is a simple copy and paste or cut and paste.
You can't move the programs if that is what you are asking.
Windows has it's own backup software that you can use.
Here is the instructions for XP:
What I would suggest you do is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems. The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs. Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
HERE
HERE

I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.

Advertisements

trv7290

trv7290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

Just wanted to let you know that I am still working through the process. Two questions have crossed my mind and will not proceed until I verify the information with you.

Because I am replacing the OEM hard drive with a brand new one how should I partition the new hard drive for XP SP3? I don't think the OEM hard drive had more than a single partition at first, but then one was created when upgrading to XP a while back. As you can see per the screen shot posted earlier in the forum of the hard drive disk manager.

To refresh your memory (and mine)...
At present time the new hard drive will be running a fresh install of the operating system -- and I will need to also use it for programs and files. An external hard drive will be used (per your recommendation) to backup the 'important documents' periodically.

The other question also relates to the install of the operating system. Since we are installing the new hard drive in the system, which already runs the registered XP - will there be any issues with the key code because we are then going to reinstall the OEM hard drive back in the system to retrieve and migrate the personal data over to the new hard drive?

Thanks for taking the time to work this out with me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Key code should be on the system on a sticker or on your Installation packet.
I would make one partition and that will hold the OS and programs.
Data backup on the external as stated before.

trv7290

trv7290

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

Just wanted to let you know that I am still working on the transition since I have not posted lately.

Thanks.

Edited by trv7290, 03 December 2010 - 04:30 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I watch for any response so no worry about closing the topic.
Thanks for checking in with me. I really appreciate it. :D