Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia 8400gs pci-e x16 running at x8 bus interface speed

• Please log in to reply

Fzee

Fzee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi! I have a Dell Dimension 4700 pc with pci-e x16 v1.1 slot with 164 pins and data transfer speed of 8GB/sec,PSU 305watts. Im using nvidia geforce 8400gs 512mb pci-e x16 v1.1 card but the problem is that nvidia's control panel is showing that the card is running at x8 bus interface speed instead of x16 although no such slot of x8 exist in my motherboard.Im using the latest BIOS for dell dimension 4700 motherboard and latest drivers for nvidia geforce 8400gs. I would be really thankful if anyone can help me in this regard or if others have faced the same problem with this card or anyother. Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi Fzee :D
I looked into this very same thing yesterday on behalf of another member and the best description I could find was this

PCI-8x cards are just AGP8x cores bridgechipped to PCI-E.

which from what I can gather means that when MB manufacturers were moving away from AGP slots to pci-e x16 slots in the 1990s they utilized the AGP MBs by putting the slightly larger pci-e x16 slot over the AGP printed circuit on the MB, basically it is the slot that is x8 not the card and as your card is a pci-e x16 v2.0 it is backward compatible with the v1 slot on your MB.

Edited by phillpower2, 30 October 2010 - 06:12 PM.

Fzee

Fzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well thanks for replying but I have asked Dell people and they are adamant that this is a real pci express x16 slot and will fully support any x16 pci-e v1.1 or v2 card. I know many people who have used the same motherboard and have run this card at x16 bus speed as well as much higher cards pretty smoothly. Card manufacture XFX say that this card is compatible with my motherboard so now im stuck here with this card. This is a low profile edition of this card, maybe this has something to do with this problem?