Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

W98 SafeMode

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Where can I find a description of the W98 SafeMode? Which facilities are dropped, retained compared to NormalMode? Does it make any sense to perform a Scandisk in SafeMode? What about a Defrag? An AdAware or a SpyBot scan?.

When I go into SafeMode my desktop icons are very large and they spill over the screen so that many are not visible. Is there a way to avoid that?

Thanks. wdc

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
In 'Safe Mode' no third-party drivers are loaded because it could be one of them that's preventing Windows from running. So if that's the case, then Safe Mode allows you to get into Windows to remove the offending driver. Your desktop icons are much larger because Windows is using it's own basic video driver which only allows a resolution of 640 x 480, instead of the third party driver supplied with your video card. In Safe Mode there is no way round this. If there was, there would be no point in having a Safe Mode. There is no point in running Scandisk in safe mode, but certainly use safe mode for defrag if you find it keeps re-starting in normal mode.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 and I will be helping you today.

Does it make any sense to perform a Scandisk in SafeMode? What about a Defrag? An AdAware or a SpyBot scan?.

Yes indeed. All the applications you mentioned can be done in a Normal Mode, however in the event that problems arises(may it be from malware infections or system settings) it is much advised to use the Safe Mode.

When I go into SafeMode my desktop icons are very large and they spill over the screen so that many are not visible. Is there a way to avoid that?

That is just normal. When you boot into Safe Mode, some system startup processes and initialization are bypassed(not loaded) by Windows thus some drivers for display does not much perform its ultimate functions. Safe Mode is used for troubleshooting, enabling the user to determine the error. Furthermore, this is a good practice when targeting malicious programs since their processes are bypassed by the system therefore it would be much easier to remove them.

If you wish to have your icons be displayed in a nice way, boot in Normal Mode instead.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
pip22 and kool808: Thanks for your posts.

Am I correct that my printer and A:drive are disabled in SafeMode?

Why do say that it does no good to run ScanDissk in SafeMode?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Am I correct that my printer and A:drive are disabled in SafeMode?

As I have stated Safe Mode is only used to troubleshoot problems. The features you are seeking are best advised to be run on Normal Mode. NO for your printer and YES A: can be accessed on Safe Mode.

Why do say that it does no good to run ScanDissk in SafeMode?

You can run scan disk on safe mode. You can even run in DOS prompt Mode.

By the way, I was just curious, why do you want to do your stuffs on Safe Mode anyway in which it would be best to run it in Normal Mode. :tazz:

Edited by kool808, 26 May 2005 - 06:08 AM.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Thanks for your help. Why do I want to work in SafeMode? Because I am having booting problems getting to my normal mode desktop.

(I will shortly post a long description of these problems in W98, in the hope that someone can spot twhat's wrong.) .... wdc