Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my compaq keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply

blainetologist

blainetologist

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Just recently my computer began to freeze up randomly sometimes it won't do it for an hour or two, but it inevitible none the less and there is no response from my mouse or keyboard when it happens so my only option is to turn my pc off. When I first noticed this problem I came here thinking it was virus related but I read your helpful page and followed every step and got rid of some spyware in the process but the freezing continued. I then decided to just dump everything and start from new and reinstall XP and it seemed to work fine for several hours but then it happened again. The most annoying part is the fact that I can't even pin point a certain action or spot where my computer just freezes. I am at a loss. My comp is a:

Compaq Presario Special edition 7000
AMD athlon 1.2o GHz with 256 MB of ram but have upgraded another 256 card since
NVidia TNT pro model 64

I had this problem once before a little while ago and brought it to an electronics place and the guy there claimed it was virus related and he found some trojan virus on my comp and when I got it backed it worked for a while but started up again just a couple of days ago :tazz:
My computer knowledge is limited so any help from anyone would be much appreciated. ;)

Edited by blainetologist, 25 May 2005 - 09:23 PM.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok you now have a new installation of XP? overheating can be caused by a few things. Like power supply problems, dirty cooling fans, overheating cpu's. How good are you at troubleshooting hardware like this? I mean, are you willing to dig in?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
I would start with checking the cpu temp. do you know how to get into the bios. most modern bios'es have a place wher you can check the cpu temp.

blainetologist

blainetologist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have no idea.....I'm semi-computer retarded
where do I go to check the temp??

blainetologist

blainetologist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get my computer up and running clearly again. :tazz:

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
At this point im assuming it might be an overheat problem, but i may be wrong.

to get into your bios, start the computer and tap continuously delete, f1, or f2 over and over again while the computer boots from "off". this brings you to the bios screen in most computers, others will have other buttons to press to get to bios. I caution you, if youve never ben to the bios, be extremely careful, one wrong setting and your comp wont start, but that can be repaired also, so dont worry, just be careful. Once in, you have to navagate around to find the page that lists the temp. some systems dont have this feature. but look for it, and if its there, it will show your cpu temp. im going to bed now and hopefully another person will answer this thread and continue ok?

after checking the temp and it seems ok, your search for faulty hardware will continue with other steps....

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
that is, tap one of those keys one at a time every time you start the computer

blainetologist

blainetologist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
tried to check my comps bio's for computer temperature but no such luck, I checked everywhere in that place and couldn't find my computers temp anywhere. anyone else got any suspisions to what my problem might be?