Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC boots, beeps, and stops

• Please log in to reply

pottersfriend

pottersfriend

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a friend's pc here. 1 year old Packard Bell DV100.
Suddenly started the following:

Starts up, fan runs then 1 beep, fan then goes very fast and another beep then everything immediately shuts down. All of this in about ten seconds.

Yesterday when I first saw it the screen got as far as "computer last shut down unexpectedly. How do you want to restart" etc. Before I could press "safe mode" or any other button, it shut down. Since then it goes thru the above sequence with nothing showing on the monitor at all.

Help!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I have a friend's pc here. 1 year old Packard Bell DV100.

First thing you should do is check and see if the computer is still under warranty.

Starts up, fan runs then 1 beep, fan then goes very fast and another beep then everything immediately shuts down. All of this in about ten seconds.

This could be a heat issue such as a failed or disconnected CPU fan, a bad MB thermal sensor or a failed psu.
Dependent on the warranty situation will determine the course of action you should take for obvious reasons.
Couple of questions; has the computer been moved or knocked recently, any type of upgrade been done or have any changes been made in the system BIOS such as overclocking?

pottersfriend

pottersfriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Phillpower. You have confirmed my first reaction. Computer is a few days out of warranty. I will try the supplier help line tomorrow to see if anything can be done on the warranty front. Absolutely nothing added and the computer has not been moved since new.
Will post again after conversation with supplier (Curry's who have since ceased trading in the town)
Dave.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi dave,

You have confirmed my first reaction. Computer is a few days out of warranty.

Have a look at the article in the link I have attached http://whatconsumer....-sale-of-goods/
Take particular notice of the end of the last line of the last paragraph, which says And don’t be told otherwise!

Edited by phillpower2, 31 October 2010 - 09:40 AM.

pottersfriend

pottersfriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Phillpower. Good advice. Will keep in mind.
Noticed on a Packard Bell forum that "heat" problems are not totally unheard of on this model.
Dave.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
For the computer to shut down as soon as it is would suggest a serious CPU thermal issue.
If you don`t mind taking the side of the case off you could power up and see if the CPU
fan is spinning, if it isn`t check that the small 3 or 4 pin CPU fan is connected to the
MB and that the fan can turn freely, also look to see if the psu & other fans are working.
Remember before touching anything inside the case to remove the power cord from the wall
and to take anti static precautions by touching a bare metal part of the case, check for
any other loose connections & dust build up whilst you are there.

pottersfriend

pottersfriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Both fans working fine. Could not find any loose connections. Machine is absolutely pristine inside. Not a speck of dust. Will be phoning the Curry's help line shortly. Thanks for your help.
Dave.