Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Unmountable_boot_volume - Please help

• Please log in to reply

MaryBC

MaryBC

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

Am doing this post on behalf of my husband, whose computer has the BSOD.

Details about his computer:

Precision M50
Service Tag C09B121
Express Service Code 26137019161
Processor Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
Processor Speed 1.95 GHz
Memory (RAM) 1024 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

His computer only has DIAL UP access to the internet.

Information about the message on the BSOD:

'A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

unmountable_boot_volume

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If the screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure that any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows update you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable componants, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, then select safe mode.

Technical information: *** 0x000000ED (0x86F67900, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)'

The first numbers inside the parenthisis changes - 0x86F17788, 0x86F8F900, 0x86FD1900.

Would very much appreciate assistance for my husband's computer. He has not installed software or hardware recently at all.

I am not technically experienced!

Thanks very much in advance.

MaryBC

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
There was a fix for this error included in the final Service Pack released by Microsoft (Service Pack 3, otherwise known as 'SP3'), for Windows XP. SP3 is compatible with all 32-bit versions of Windows XP and you can get it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
As the second parameter of the error code is 0xC0000006, it is unlikely that this is file corruption
If that were the case, the second parameter would more than likely be 0xC0000032.

If this has only just occurred and you HAVE SP3 and have NOT entered BIOS setup and made any changes AND it will not start in Safe Mode without error then it is more than likely the HDD is failing.

If you have valuable data I recommend you recover it ASAP.

If you ned help to do that -post back.

The computer is a Dell I see is it a laptop or desktop.
Just found that I think - a Dell Precision Workstation - laptop.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 October 2010 - 12:45 PM.

MaryBC

MaryBC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks very much for your help.

No, have not attempted to do anything with BIOS, so would very much like to know how to save the data on my husband's computer, if that is possible.

Mary

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
There is basically two ways.
One is to take out the hard drive and place it in an enclsoure, connect it to another computer as an external drive and if the drive is working
sufficiently to spin, you will be able to acess your data, just as you would on any other drive on that computer.
ie: You would wait for Windows on the ther computer to recognise the drive and then on My Computer you would double click that drice and it would open. Then the same with the folders containing the data you wish recover.
You would then copy that data to either a DVD or the main drive of the computer. If you copy it to the main drive, only copy your documents, pictures and music. Do not attempt to copy any part of Windows etc, just in case you have an infection. I am NOT suggesting you have, but obviously you do not want to stand the chance of infecting the other computer.
If you cannot use this method ie: NO CD/DVD burner, then you would have to copy to a flash drive, but of course you are limited by the capacity of the flash drive and they are never really meant for data storage.

BEFORE you go down this route - do you have the XP CD or was it preloaded and do you have any recovery software.
ENTER the BIOS setup - normally F2 but when the computer posts, that is the first screen it will tell you which key to press for setup
Immediately you se that message kep tapping that key.
When you get to the BIOS, see if the hard drive is recognised in the BIOS.
In the meantime I will have a look at the Dell site and post back.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See this please
http://support.euro....en/ug/index.htm
Further to the last it is F2 for setup

Please also, see on this link which is your computer the Dell Diagnostics on the right hand colume and run those pls on F12.
Read the instructions and conduct the custom test on the hard drive.
If it should pass that, run the extended test on all.

Post back if you have any queries.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 November 2010 - 11:12 AM.

MaryBC

MaryBC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks again for your help.

I have copied all the information, and will give a try to the diagnostics, and then come back to you.

I am not too sure about removing the hard disk, so will take the diagnostics part first and come back to you on that too, if you don't mind.

MaryBC

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You are correct in running diagnostics 1st. Lets see if the drive is seen and checks out ok.
After that we can decide the next step. In any case we will be trying to be sure the data is safe.

MaryBC

MaryBC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello again, and thanks again for the help!

We went in to the Diagnostics on my husband's computer, and this is the message:

'Start DST Short Test. Test results: failed. Error code: 1000-0146. Msg: Unit 0: DST Log contains previous errors.

No Diagnostic Utility Partition Found. To run diagnostics, insert your Dell "Driverscard Utilities" CD then select OK to restart the system and boot off the CD.'

We bought the computer on Ebay with everything already on it, so do not have the Driverscard Utilities CD.

Hope you can help!

MaryBC

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go to BIOS setup - normally F2 as the first post scren appears.
It should tell you on the scren - To enter setup press ?
When you get in there, you will see - To Load defaults or some similar wording.
Do that and it is normally F10 to SAVE and exit.
When you exit you normally get a message - To save settings etc.
Then try and boot.

If this does not work, do you have a computer on which you can burn a CD.
and DO you have an XP CD that is the same as this ie: XP Professional, we need to enter the Recovery Console.

MaryBC

MaryBC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have got into the BIOS setup on F2 and there seems to be 7 pages. The first one has info on the clock. The second has 'Boot Order' but it does not say anything there about 'to enter setup press'. Just Boot Order on the left of a divided screen, and a large CAUTION that flashes and DISK DRIVE LETTERS MAY CHANGE IF THIS SETTING IS MODIFIED on the right.

Mary

Go to BIOS setup - normally F2 as the first post scren appears.
It should tell you on the scren - To enter setup press ?
When you get in there, you will see - To Load defaults or some similar wording.
Do that and it is normally F10 to SAVE and exit.
When you exit you normally get a message - To save settings etc.
Then try and boot.

If this does not work, do you have a computer on which you can burn a CD.
and DO you have an XP CD that is the same as this ie: XP Professional, we need to enter the Recovery Console.

MaryBC

MaryBC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you very much for helping. I have to say that it is all pretty confusing for me, but am taking it bit by bit!

Mary

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Look to the right of the scren where it normally says EXIT it may well be there
It will say exit, load defaults and exit or something on those lines.

MaryBC

MaryBC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
We went in to F2

Unfortunately, it does say EXIT at the bottom right, but it does NOT say load defaults, etc.

Sorry taken an age to come back, but hope you can still help.

As I said before, it is a divided 'page' that comes up, one of seven pages.

We don't have the CD. Bought it on Ebay already refurbished. I have Vista, as you can see, on mine. I have all the bits for mine.

Thanks again.

Mary

Look to the right of the scren where it normally says EXIT it may well be there
It will say exit, load defaults and exit or something on those lines.