Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Veterans day November 11th

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The US call this event Veterans Day, in the UK it is called Remembrance Day. Before WW2 it was known as Armistice Day, then renamed Remembrance Day after WW2 to take into account that conflict which had nothing to do with November.

My slot in life still calls it by the original name - Armistice Day. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month - the official end of WW1.

Since then we have had WW2 and of course all the conflicts between the two World Wars and afterwards. The killing and wounding is still going on and unfortunately will never end if historical trends are reflective of mankind's barbaric behaviour.

This particular event hits me in the gut like nothing else can or has done.
I have never felt so hurt in mind and body than on this occasion. Rather tearful event, even for an ex Rambo like myself - YES tough guys can shed a tear and do.

To me it is a time to reflect on all those many tens of thousands of British, Commonwealth, Allied and American soldiers who never got the chance to see all the things we take for granted today.

Most of all I cannot rid my mind of all those countless thousands of identical white headstones in Europe and other places each marking the end of a young man`s short life. Guys who went and never came back.

What are your thoughts about this sad occasion ?

Edited by John Bull, 31 October 2010 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Heart-felt & sobered......My father & Grandfathers lost many friends.

Dollface1

Dollface1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i think 11.1 or 1.11 is better than 11.11~~hahah