Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

dragonthrone

dragonthrone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
System scan completed.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now I know I'm having you do a lot of diagnostics but the final goal is to make sure what hardware if any is causing the issue.
I think what we're dealing with is a software issue but better safe then sorry since the system is under warranty.
Being only 2 weeks old then you probably don't have much data to save so if need be a format and fresh install may be in the near future. :D

dragonthrone

dragonthrone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Now I know I'm having you do a lot of diagnostics but the final goal is to make sure what hardware if any is causing the issue.
I think what we're dealing with is a software issue but better safe then sorry since the system is under warranty.
Being only 2 weeks old then you probably don't have much data to save so if need be a format and fresh install may be in the near future. :D

I understand that. Downloaded the diagnostics tool for seagate. run a SMART test, short generic test and short drive self test. All passes. There's the long generic test and the long drive test that will take hours, so I will let it run overnight.

My ASUS laptop comes with a recovery partition. I tried recovered my laptop using "recover windows to entire HD with two paritions. Basically, this option deletes all paritions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions "C"(25%) and "D"(75%). Did it twice, but problem still exist.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My ASUS laptop comes with a recovery partition. I tried recovered my laptop using "recover windows to entire HD with two paritions. Basically, this option deletes all paritions from your hard drive and creates two new partitions "C"(25%) and "D"(75%). Did it twice, but problem still exist.

This tells me then it's not a software issue but a hardware issue. Most likely mobo or cpu.
Since it completely wipes out the partitions and starts fresh then the possibility of a active infection is null.
If the long test shows nothing then it looks to be one of the above and since it is still under warranty I would then suggest letting them fix or replace it now before it turns in to a complete door stop.

dragonthrone

dragonthrone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was hoping it to be problem that can be solve without having to bring my laptop down to them. Seems like I cannot be lazy anymore, if the long tests shows nothing, I will call asus and send it down for repair.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Isn't the shop you bought it from responsible for the first 30 days?

dragonthrone

dragonthrone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Isn't the shop you bought it from responsible for the first 30 days?

I have bought it for around 2 months.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm ok, it might be worth calling them to see if they would be willing to do the work there instead of sending it to Asus.
Just a word of caution that I tell everyone before sending a system to a shop for repairs.
Backup everything you don't want to lose.. Backup backup and oh yeah did I say backup. :D

dragonthrone

dragonthrone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hmm ok, it might be worth calling them to see if they would be willing to do the work there instead of sending it to Asus.
Just a word of caution that I tell everyone before sending a system to a shop for repairs.
Backup everything you don't want to lose.. Backup backup and oh yeah did I say backup. ;)

Backup all my files before I did any of the tests. So my files are safe in my external HDD.:D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Backup all my files before I did any of the tests. So my files are safe in my external HDD.;)

:( ;) ;) :D
Great job. You might give them a link tot his page so that they can see everything we did.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
May I ask if you have a third party firewall - Zone alarm , Comodo etc.
Also - Have you really been having this problem SINCE you bought the laptop OR if not for how long.
Have YOU installed a anti-virus/Firewall that was not ON THE MACHINE WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT.

If you have installed a Firewall, disable it.
and try, see if you still get the blue screen.

If you have installed an anti-virus/malware - are you runnning two.

Both of these are frequent causes of that error.

AS rshaffer61 has eliminated the usual suspect of ram and system files - I suspect the above is the cause.

rshaffer61 - I have no in-depth knowledge of this found it on a search pls see my recent post
http://www.geekstogo...24-stop-errors/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 November 2010 - 03:52 PM.

dragonthrone

dragonthrone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Erm, I don't have a firewall. My anti-virus comes with the windows, it's trend micro internet security.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I do not have an indepth knowledge of this problem, but as has been said by "rshaffer61" who is far more experienced than me, both of these errors inidicate that the cause of the attempt to reference memory at the wrong level ie: IRQL not less or equal AND the Kernel Mode exception are the ntoskrnl.exe+70740 which of course is NT operating system - and Kernel.

As everything has been tried and you say that you do not have a firewall and the anti-virus is the one that was installed when you got the computer I go back to my post 27.

Have you really been having this problem SINCE you bought the laptop OR if not for how long

If you have been having the problem SINCE you bought the laptop and have not installed ANYTHING or attempted to tweak anything - overclocking altering memory voltage etc, then there is I think ONLY one course of action and that is BACK TO TYHE SUPPLIER - actually I think that should have been your course of action as soon as you got this blue screen.

The error does NOT mean there is a anything actually wrong with Ntoskrnl.exe.

dragonthrone

dragonthrone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I got this problem ever since I bought this laptop. Anyway, I am going to drag it alittle longer. I don't have time to spare now. Since my warrenty last for 2 years, meaning I have got another 1 year and 9 months+ left, then I guess I stil can wait afew months and hope this problem goes away. LOL.