Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP getting stuck at startup

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
SpywareDr, I didn't know such a thing even existed! :D
I would think that a SATA drive needed more power than just a USB port.

A SATA laptop hard drive looks like this: file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://bigbytepc.net/images/WD%20SCORPIO%20Black%20laptop%20Hard%20Drive
Notice how the ports on the hard drive line up with the ports on the adapter. It is simply plug and play.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

SpywareDr, I didn't know such a thing even existed! :D
I would think that a SATA drive needed more power than just a USB port.

Works for me. ;)

A SATA laptop hard drive looks like this: file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://bigbytepc.net/images/WD%20SCORPIO%20Black%20laptop%20Hard%20Drive
Notice how the ports on the hard drive line up with the ports on the adapter. It is simply plug and play.

Google images: PATA SATA
http://www.google.co...ata&btnG=Search

PATA = pins, SATA = card-edge

Simon_H

Simon_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello again, apologies for not posting for a few days,

How does this look, will it do the job?

http://www.play.com/...1&ob=Price&fb=0

If I get the green light, I'll just buy this one and see how I get on.

Thanks again,

Simon

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Yes, I have used various models of that type of adapter as well. They get the job done.

analyst

analyst

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
After months (many) of trying to repair a non-booting Win XP Home without the CD, I really thought that at last I'd discovered a thread was going to save my sanity.

I downloaded the RC.ISO from edge 2022's link but when it came to burn it to disk (using Nero) it won't burn . . . but it makes good coasters :D

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hey analyst! :D
I suggest you try burning the iso file to disc with BurnCDCC: http://burncdcc.en.softonic.com/
If you have any more questions or problems, open a new thread in this forum, and send me a PM linking to it.

As per the adapter... that one has a power cord. Looks good, let us know how the data transfer goes.

Simon_H

Simon_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello again, after a while!

Okay, I now have both the adapter and a brand new laptop, so I'm ready to have a go at this, I'll have a read of the instructions and get back to you either with further questions or with a happy report that everything's sorted!

Simon.

Simon_H

Simon_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I worked out how to use the device well enough and extracted the contents of the drive onto my laptop.

However, it's an almost full 80gb hard-drive and I only seem able to transfer about 12gb across. I notice that the content that I've transferred is listed as 'Drive D' (DISE Backup), when of course it is primarily Drive C that I want to transfer over. When I click on 'properties' for the actual overall drive itself, however, it does indeed show that it is the 80gb internal hard-drive almost full to capacity.

Can anyone please advise me on how to access the other majority of the content of the drive, please?

Thanks!

Simon.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
DISE_Backup is a "Drive Image Special Edition - Backup" partition. It's usually put there by the computer assembler|manufacturer as a Factory Restore, (i.e. erases everything and then restores your computer back to exactly the way the factory had it setup when the computer was delivered to you).

If you see no other partitions, you may need to hire a data recovery service, (such as Ontrack.com).

Simon_H

Simon_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I had another go and managed to do it correctly.

All of my files etc are safe, thanks to the advice of everyone on this thread, so a massive 'thank you' to one and all!

I may still try and resurrect my old computer at some point, as I was saying at the start of this thread, but for now I am just happy that I haven't actually lost anything.

Thanks again!

Simon

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Great to hear you didn't lose anything. Thanks for posting back. :D