Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

C:\WIndows\Installer directory is 50GB+!

• Please log in to reply

bradyg23

bradyg23

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a system that was out of space completely. I didn't think I had that many files (80GB hdd), but I finally found that over 50GB in use were in C:\Windows\Installer directory. I know these are dangerous to delete outright, but the utility that most forums seem to suggest is no longer available from the MS website.

Any other suggestions on how to overcome this?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The Windows Installer Cleanup utility was discontinued by Microsoft since it could damage other OS components and the like. It is still available to use at your own risk: http://majorgeeks.co...lity_d4459.html
After reading from a couple other forums after the installation you should:

After installation browse to C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\ to find MsiZap.exe

Other people said that you should try running the program with the -G switch.

Before you try this program, I strongly advise that you perform a full system backup in case something goes wrong.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2007/01/31/how-to-safely-delete-orphaned-patches.aspxThere is a script on this webpage that can identify the folders in Installer, that cannot be deleted as they link to something else.